I need some advise on tank selections.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Presently, I own a 80 Al tank. I want to purchase a steel tank to use for my nitrox diving.
Should I buy LP or HP? My height is 5' 6" and I have a body weight of 155 pounds.

If you have access to HP fills, you can't go wrong with the Worthington HP tanks. The HP 100 is smaller than an AL 80, and you can lose some lead in the process.

The HP 119 is the same height as the HP 100, just the fatter 8" diameter

I own a pair of the HP 130s, which are also 8" diameter, and just a bit taller than the HP 100s. My wife dives the HP 130s all the time with no complaints, and she is about 5'6", and a good bit less than 155 lb.

I use both steel LP and HP cylinders. I like a HP for my single cylinder diving and LP's for doubles. There are plus and neg. on each side. Several factors to consider.

5'-9"/164lbs./52 years old--- prime single is a st. PST HP 130;
doubles are st. LP 85's

PS-- I looked at your bio (I always check those-fun),,,and I noticed you are 61 years young and diving---man that is GREAT!!!! :D

I have to second the HP 100's and 119's.

I'm 5'7" and 58 yrs. old.

I dive the 119's as singles and the 100's as doubles (when my wife let's me snarf up her singles). Other times I'll dive the HP 80's doubled.

the K

Just ordered a Worthington HP 100...

5'9", and 52... (just for the record...)

Well youngster, I've been going through the same decision process. There are sooo many different tanks and preferences about them I've concluded there is only one way to make a decisioin: Dive them.

I've seen the smallest people dive some pretty large tanks and some pretty large divers who just couldn't manage larger tanks.

So, if necessary, spend some rental money. But, I think a place that wants to sell you some tanks will let you test dive a couple.

I'm 5'10" and dive an HP120. I find it just a touch long. I do dive it a lot but, a few inches shorter and I wouldn't ever know it was there.

I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs. I recently started diving single HP100s and I love them. They should work out great for your height as they are 2" shorter than an AL80 but the same diameter.

I started out with Luxfur S080 aluminum tanks and realized that I needed a lot more air! So I bought two HP E130 and they're great. But then I decided to go twins for tec diving. Had I know I was going to end up using twins I would've bough smaller HP tanks as twining E130 would end up being too heavy. So I twinned my aluminum S080 for now. My advice is look long term. Try to figure out how far you're going into diving.

Back
Top Bottom