I need me some new fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

damsel

Registered
Reaction score
So I've got a pair of openheel SP twinjets and I'm... not a happy panda. On the whole, they're pretty good, but they are less than worthless in current. I've heard good things about Quattros, but I've also heard they're hard on the ankles, and my joints aren't great. A friend of mine has Volos, which seem like they might be a good compromise, but they silt like mad (well, that, or he's just a clumsy ox *grin*) Any recommendations? I'm in shape overall, just have bad ankles, and I'm on the small side, so I don't want anything too enormous. Also, I'm a fan of the frog-kick, so anything conducive to that would be rad.

Consider aqualung blades, or aqualung super rockets if you are thinking about getting into technical diving. I can provide you with either one, Email me for prices.

damsel:
twinjets are less than worthless in current. . . Quattros're hard on the ankles . . .Volos silt like mad. Any recommendations?

Sorry, but a LOT of it is the diver, not the fin.

Those are 3 very good fin styles. You state that you are in shape, so that leaves:

1. Booties don't fit feet.
2. Fins don't fit booties.
3. Fins strapped on too tight/too loose.
4. Poor trim in water.
5. Overweighted.
6. Poor kicking techniques (frog or flutter).
7. Not relaxed.

If the fins fit and are comfortable, work on the diving first. Get a good buddy and have him/her observe your diving skills and offer critique. And just dive alot more.

Fins make a difference, but a small one. Borrow as many types as you can that fit and try them out to see how you like them, as it is a very personal item.

Happy diving,
theskull

I also have a pair of SP Twin-Jet fins and have found them less than suitable for heavy current. I switched to Mares Quattros and they provide much more thrust when diving in current - especially if you are handling a float ball for a group. I save my Split fins: SP twin-jets and/or Tusa X-pert Zooms for when I travel or dive in areas without heavy current.

I'm looking for some new fins also. I dive in the canaveral florida area often in medium currents, usually lobstering and have to cover some bottom. I once used a friends cressi long-bladed freediving fins and was amazed at the power and speed i could move. I currently have some old plana avati's which have served me well. Any suggestions? Split fins or long blades?

why not go with the cressi's? I like the gara 2000hd's.. and now they have the 3000's that are softer and longer.. the gara 2000ld's are softer yet. I prefer full foot with a sock.. not a boot, and order 1 size over for up to a 3mm sock. Also.. tests I've done comparing all my freediving fins with the avanti quattro pro (sporasub's cruise), the avanti are not a bad fin at all either. but be sure they are the quattro pro.. or the sporasub's cruise.

I just bought a pair of mares volo power fins, and they are GREAT. The best fins i have ever had. If you just want to cruise along, long slow strokes work wonders, if you need to get going, you can.

Wonderful fins.

Hope this helps.

i was thrilled to see someone mention the cressi brand. my instructor in cozumel suggested these for me. the rondines. not sure why, and not sure if these are good, i keep seeing lots of other brands mentioned. i'm 5'10 with a decent kick. any insights or advice would be more than welcome. (and while we're at it, what about the booties? looks like a lot of variety there too.)

i'm just a grasshopper trying to learn......but the fish keep trying to eat me!!!!!! :fish:

Back
Top Bottom