I may need to get a second job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your cost of diving has just doubled. Based on having done all diving from open water through PADI Master Diver with my wife. I share your $ pain.

The benefit is always having a dive buddy. LOL :)

I feel your pain. The wife dives (not as much) but basically everything I buy, have to buy 2 of. It gets very expensive very quickly..

Experience says that it's a lot easier when you are both pulling on the purse strings together.

Try a wife and 2 daughters who dive. Everything x 4. 4x equipment, 4x Dan insurance, 4x plane tickets, 4x4x4x. I love my children but I'm sorta glad to be an empty-nester. Now if they'll just come get their stuff out of my closet...

Try a wife and 2 daughters who dive. Everything x 4. 4x equipment, 4x Dan insurance, 4x plane tickets, 4x4x4x. I love my children but I'm sorta glad to be an empty-nester. Now if they'll just come get their stuff out of my closet...

I'm an empty-nester too...but for some reason my adult daughters still seem to be lining THEIR nests with OUR money, LOL! Yeah, I love my kids too, but...

I can't put into words how much enjoyment I'M getting watching my wife's face light up each night as she talks her scuba lessons. She came home last night around 10:30pm and we stayed up until midnight talking about buoyancy. Her instructor has got her to the point where she is demonstrating all skills while hovering neutral. I wish this guy had been my instructor when I started. There is an expensive steak dinner in his immediate future!

I hope you instructors that are reading this thread truly realize the positive impact you can have on a new diver, especially one like my wife who was scared to death of water. I'll give you the same advice you give your students...Stop, Breathe, Think, Then Act. In other words, don't just rush through your script. Take a moment to listen to your students and realize you truly are giving them a life changing gift. They will always remember their Open Water Instructor, good or bad.

As a diver whose wife became a diver after I was at the professional level, I can tell you it is expensive to fit out another diver, and worth every penny of it. We do most of our diving together. Debbie is a wonderful and competent diver, and except when I have led a trip or gone on a cold water excursion ( she draws the line at 70F) we are buddies. No more insta buddy! So I say CONGRATULATIONS! Best money you will ever spend is that to share our sport with the one with whom you already share the rest of your life. JUST BE SURE TO BUY HER STUFF AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN YOURS.
DivemasterDennis

As much as I like the "space" offered by my wife not diving offers I'd love for her to take up diving I know she'd love it. We've talked about it on many occasions but her fear of water seems greater than the desire to learn to dive. Its such a shame as she gets more excited by my underwater videos than I do.

We are not rich so when it comes to planning possible holidays we are always at odds as to where to go. She can't swim and consequently does not want to go to the tropics. This sometimes results in us taking separate, overseas anyway, vacations. We used to snowboard together which was awesome, a shared interest and all that, but as she's gotten older she's no longer so keen.

So anyway, cool and congrats to you and your wife, well worth the additional expense. Added bonus I imagine it will be easier for you to buy new diving toys for yourself, or not I guess if she starts taking note of "actual" cost of gear. I'd be in trouble if my wife took up diving as I'm always white lying about how much that new piece if dive gear actually cost.

My husband convinced me to give diving a try and i am doing my OW dives this weekend. I'm not scared of water but I am a little nervous about getting into the 56 degree water at our local quarry. I tried on the wetsuit yesterday and i felt like the stay puft marshmellow man and looked like a stuffed sausage. Hope I pass as we are going to Cozumel June 9th.

My husband convinced me to give diving a try and i am doing my OW dives this weekend. I'm not scared of water but I am a little nervous about getting into the 56 degree water at our local quarry. I tried on the wetsuit yesterday and i felt like the stay puft marshmellow man and looked like a stuffed sausage. Hope I pass as we are going to Cozumel June 9th.

I understand your concern, but I'm sure you'll do fine. Just take your time and remember everything you learned in the pool and it will be over before you know it. We are headed to Coz on Aug 31. Have fun!

The sea sickness patch has done wonders for me. It is amazing the difference it has made. I went from having to sit perfectly still on a boat staring at the horizon concentrating on just. not. barfing. to it being a complete non issue and feeling like I was sitting and moving about the living room.

I know this is off topic, but I'm curious as to how early you put the patch on? And are there any tips for making the patch more effective? Thanks.

---------- Post added May 19th, 2013 at 11:27 AM ----------

On the original subject, this gives you a great opportunity to upgrade some of your equipment if she doesn't expect everything new. When my wife shows interest in something similar, I can usually pass on a couple of hand me downs and upgrade my stuff. She typically realizes I'm more into it and lets me have the better gear.

Back
Top Bottom