I"m sure you guys are tired of this...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba:
I have been diving the quarries of Ohio. I know when these Fl guys talk about low viz I can take it with a grain of salt. Last week I was at the bottom after a class sat on the bottom (Kudos to whatever instructor ruined that for me.) but I couldn't see more then the outline of my dive buddy, and I was close enough to reach out and touch him.

The viz you described is quite common at Venice, of course, sometimes it's not that good. Viz at Venice Beach averages about 6 feet, but I've seen it as good as 30 feet (once in 165 dives there) and I've also seen (not seen?) zero viz when you can't see your hand placed against your mask (unfortunately, quite a few times). Viz at Venice is often measured in inches.

brutus_scuba:
I tried to get the family to go to Lauderdale by the Sea actually I read about some pretty decent diving there. I mapquested it and mapquest told me it was a bout a 3.5 hour drive to get down to Lauderdale by the sea. Is that pretty accurate?

Yes.

brutus_scuba:
So there is really no safe way to shore dive without having to worry about Hammerheads huh?

I've never seen a hammerhead there.

brutus_scuba:
Do you just shore dive off venice beach there?

Yes, but there is a charter if you'd like.

yes....if you look at the forum , there is usually a thread of shark tooth divers making dates to meet and dive....

I would second the idea of driving across to LBTS.

You may want to see if you can find some locals to dive with. You will need a buddy, a dive flag, and whatever gear you may not already have.

The diving is fun, there is two reefs off the shore reasonable swim out, and there is a lot to see in the way of marine life. For a cheap shore dive, I think there are very few places in the US that can compare, in fact none if you want warm water! :D

Good luck,

If you really want something close and easy just to get wet and voted one of the best beaches in the world...I lived on Siesta key for 5 yrs. about 5yrs ago. Unless it's changed you can take rt72/Stickney point rd at the south end of the island off of S. Tamiami Trail. Immediately after crossing the bridge and slightly to your left of the bridge, across from the Marina and small shopping area, there is a narrow public access to the beach with parking for about 6-8 cars, which is between 2 condos. Get there early to park. Walk to the beach and look to your left about 1000'. You will see the beach curve out to a point with rocks. It's about 20ft deep at most with a decent amount of wildlife on both sides of the point. Viz was always decent. Let me know if you have any questions.

RonFrank:
I would second the idea of driving across to LBTS.

You may want to see if you can find some locals to dive with. You will need a buddy, a dive flag, and whatever gear you may not already have.

The diving is fun, there is two reefs off the shore reasonable swim out, and there is a lot to see in the way of marine life. For a cheap shore dive, I think there are very few places in the US that can compare, in fact none if you want warm water! :D

Good luck,

This sounds great I may have to take one day and make the drive over there you'll probably see me back on the board closer to the trip looking for dive buddies. I'll bring all my gear with me (except for bottels.) but I"ll rent tanks and see about borrowing my buddies dive flag, or see if I can rent/buy one at the shop where I rent my tanks. But I will definatly be looking for local dive buddies if I head to LBTS.

divekraz:
If you really want something close and easy just to get wet and voted one of the best beaches in the world...I lived on Siesta key for 5 yrs. about 5yrs ago. Unless it's changed you can take rt72/Stickney point rd at the south end of the island off of S. Tamiami Trail. Immediately after crossing the bridge and slightly to your left of the bridge, across from the Marina and small shopping area, there is a narrow public access to the beach with parking for about 6-8 cars, which is between 2 condos. Get there early to park. Walk to the beach and look to your left about 1000'. You will see the beach curve out to a point with rocks. It's about 20ft deep at most with a decent amount of wildlife on both sides of the point. Viz was always decent. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'll definatly have to take a look at this. My brother will be with me and while he's certified he wont' have the expierence I do, but well take a look at it, and make our own judgement call. Thanks for the info though this is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom