I love to dive but......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, is it possible to be allergic to water?
My sinus is driving me crazy since my dive
this past weekend. I can not stop the runny nose.
It was fresh water dive. 6 over two days. Any
suggestions what might be the cause.

You know, when I get in the water (salt or fresh or a pool) I am usually congested for the rest of that day and the next day, unless I take some sinus/cold medicine. Allergy medicine doesn't work as well, for me at least. When we were doing our training dives, I was so congested about halfway through the first day. I took some Sudafed Sinus meds the next morning and didn't have any problems at all.

I hope you can find something to help you!!

That is strange because I am usually congested all the time, (these desert allergy's) but when I go diving it clears me up. After the first dive I am clear for a couple of days.

I usually get ears congested after about the second day of diving in blue water and some depth more than 80 fsw. I usually take claritan d as a preventative measure. But this last trip to salt water I didn't take anything and just got a little stuffy ear after the second day at 85 fsw. and it went away for the rest of the week!

A Doc. I dive with has told me that it is some fluid build up in the ears from the tubes, probably the same thing with the nose (had several times surfacing with runny nose) LOL.

As always, seek medical advise...but sounds kinda normal to me until you get stuff cleared out of the passage ways. Pressure seems to do that to my ears more than my nose (my left ear is the one that always give me fits).

Everyone is different, so ask a Doc. I'm no expert, just a thought here.

I'd go get some of the good Sudafed from behind the drug counter. It's a 12 hour formula, and rather than the little red tablets of Sudafed that last only 3 to 4 hours, these will do you for the better part of a day. After having a pretty good cold, I used one and was able to clear just fine past 100.

Afrin Nasil Spray pre dive

Stay Hydrated too by drinking lots of beer the night before and then go to bed early. ( breathing should also be fun top side)

Oh.... and stay away from Sealskin98 and FireFyter they still have that funky Blue Water Stuff all over them and that will tear your nose up :D

Timeliner:
Afrin Nasil Spray pre dive

Stay Hydrated too by drinking lots of beer the night before and then go to bed early. ( breathing should also be fun top side)

Oh.... and stay away from Sealskin98 and FireFyter they still have that funky Blue Water Stuff all over them and that will tear your nose up :D

U Da Man Frank. One of these days we will have to check out Broken Bow together.

Lake Mead Tony:
That is strange because I am usually congested all the time, (these desert allergy's) but when I go diving it clears me up. After the first dive I am clear for a couple of days.
I'm with you ... Central Texas has the worst allergies, but diving -especially salt water - always clears them right up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom