I love my DA Aquamaster thanks to Bryan at VDH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikeguyver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I sent my "round label" DA Aquamaster to Bryan at VDH (Vintage Double Hose) and was blown away with the work that he did for me! The communication that I got from him was very prompt and he tells you what it will take to "make it safe and ready to dive". I had him do some upgrades like the duckbill eliminator and he got it back to me faster than I expected (and exactly when he said that he would). It's my first double hose and it's an awesome experience to have your exhaust behind you. I'm now looking for another double hose (probably a Royal Aquamaster) to buy and it's also going to visit Bryan before I dive it. Don't hesitate to use him if you want to get into "vintage" regulators.

Welcome to the world of DH diving. You will find the vintage communiuty a fairly close and great bunch. Most of us have gotten to know each other and are all the time exchanging parts and information. I have had the pleasure of diving with a lot of the active DH divers and look forward to the chance to dive with them again. I encourage you to make an effort to dive with any of us when you can. Do you know about the vintage event at Portage quarry in Ohio ?? A lot of vintage div ders well be there and while the diving is not great...it's a quarry after all...it's a good time to put some faces with the names and to pick up some gotta have accessories.

Bryan is top notch and goes out of his way to help his customers. He has done his job, now it's your turn to learn how to dive a DH reg. I prefer them to single hose regs but they do require a different approch and some different techniques to get the best out of them. Do some research on this board and VDH for some of the discussuions on the subject and then ask questions. You do know how to clear flooded hoses and buddy breath don't you??

Instead of a RAM, consider finding another DA and have a Phoenix installed in it. Considering the higher price a RAM usually brings, the overall cost is not that much more and when you have the need for an octo or SPG, it's easier than a multipul port hookha adapter and a banjo.

i love mine, too. he'll come back from dc tomorrow night. :wink:

Welcome to the addiction. Pretty soon you'll have 4 or 5 double hose regulators.. I also definitely recommend getting a Phoenix nozzle for your next DH regulator.

I will make it to Portage some day. I have gotten pretty good with my double hose and can clear it and buddy breath without issues. I'm a tall guy with a thick chest so I may have to try something different than my vintage US Divers cam backpack. I changed the straps out to fit my chest and can get the reg between my shoulders but it rides up sometimes. Is the Phoenix the way to go? I have a banjo and use it for a gauge but wonder if I would like the flexibility of a Phoenix double hose. I think I have been bitten by the "double hose bug" because I'm looking forward to my next reg. I like the way that the "round label" Aqualungs look. How are the older Aqualungs compared to the "round labels"? Is there a model/year that I should avoid? Thanks for the feedback Herman.

I will make it to Portage some day. I have gotten pretty good with my double hose and can clear it and buddy breath without issues. I'm a tall guy with a thick chest so I may have to try something different than my vintage US Divers cam backpack. I changed the straps out to fit my chest and can get the reg between my shoulders but it rides up sometimes. Is the Phoenix the way to go? I have a banjo and use it for a gauge but wonder if I would like the flexibility of a Phoenix double hose. I think I have been bitten by the "double hose bug" because I'm looking forward to my next reg. I like the way that the "round label" Aqualungs look. How are the older Aqualungs compared to the "round labels"? Is there a model/year that I should avoid? Thanks for the feedback Herman.

There is no difference between a square label and a round label internally, the only difference is the exhaust can label and the shape of the indent it sets in. This is true of both DAAMs and RAMs. There are a couple of exceptions, there were some made for the military that are slightly different and there were a few sold with heavy duty yokes in the late 70s. These are somewhat rare and sell a good bit higher, fine for the collector but there is no real difference for the diver and even with those, the parts are still interchangable. For whatever reason, the round labels do tend to sell for a little higher price....no clue why except I guess some either like the way they look better or maybe it's because they are a little more rare since the round label was only sold for 3 years and it was at the end of the DH era so not as many were sold. There is no reason to decide on one over the other except personal preference and maybe cost.....same goes for the shiny chrome vs the satin chrome, no difference other than looks and age, satin is older.

When you change to different models, then the internal parts do vary somewhat. The older DA Navy and Broxtons do have some different internal parts. While I would not completely say stay away from them, I would suggest you leave those until you have an interest in a slightly different reg. Mistrals and their cousins like the Jet Air are totally different inside and work on a different principal all together. They have their following as does every other reg, I have several of the different ones and like them all. If you have an interest in a different model then I would suggest a Mistral as your next reg. I would caution you on buying brands other than US Divers and Voit. The parts for other brands is either very limited or non existant. While many are good regs, they are not restoration 101 and should be put off until you really want a restoration challange. It not uncommon for us to make parts for these reg.

The Phoenix is a good way to go for a reg you intend to travel with or use where a dive op is involved. Many of them do not like/understand vintage gear and often will not let you dive with it. A Phoenix adds both HP and LP ports so you can attach all the "necessary" modern attachments to make them happy but if you so chose, you can just plug up the ports you don't want and dive it completely old school. I usually dive mine with just a SPG. Price wise, on average a RAM sells for $100 or so more than a DA and the only benefit you get is a balanced first stage. For another $100 or so, you can modify a DA to a Phoenix and have a balanced first stage with a heavy duty yoke and ports to use as you need. The Phoenix is a screw in mod so there is no damage to the reg and it can be converted back to it's original condition in just a few minutes.

If you are using one of the blown plastic pack that are about 1 in or so think, you should consider finding a different pack. Those tend to hold the tank up off your back too far. Also, adding a crotch strap to any of the BPs will stop it from riding up. Bryan has a new BP designed especially for DH regs that you should check out. I also like the old thin single layer plastic or metal packs. Most of these will not fit AL -80 tanks but I have a modification you can make to them that solves that problem.

---------- Post Merged at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:18 AM ----------

And in case you are wondering what BabyDucks comments are about, one of the board members handle is "DA Aquamaster" who is BD's sweetie.... both friends of mine. :)

Once again, Herman thanks for all of the information. I am/was an avid reader of the vintage forums on Scubaboard and VDH. It's great information for people like me who are interested in diving with a double hose reg. I'm an older diver (over 50) who dived when I was in HS and college but got away from it when I became a family man. Now that I have kids in college and out on their own, I found the opportunity to get back into diving and went through certification again because a lot of things have changed since the late 70s! Posting on vintage forums can be intimidating but having a place to read questions from others is a great resource for people like me.
I have seen the BCD set up that Byran has put together and I think that's the route that I will take. When I mentioned to some of the instructors (on my open/advanced cert dives) that I had an interest in double hose regs, some looked at me like I was crazy. It may not be for everyone but I really am glad that I have gotten into it.
Thanks for clearing up the "inside joke" too.

:D

he's actually been on the board some today - i think he's having a less-than-exciting day at work.

The only real answer is to just get several. I have around 8 of them including a DW Mistral, a DW Mistral in the repro blue Voit 50 Fathom case, a couple DA's, a DA Navy, an Aqualung and a pair of PRAMs.

The PRAMs do work well for tropical pretty fish diving and with an octo and an SPG I've never had anyone suggest I should not be diving them. But then again they both have new chrome, new hoses, etc and are pretty much new (and new looking) regs.

I use a 1/4" aluminum freedom plate with a 30 pound Halcyon Pioneer wing and it works great for travel and double hose diving. It's short enough and thin enough to allow the reg to sit properly on your back.

When I started rebuilding double hose regs, finding parts was a challenge, but now all kinds of parts are being made. I sold my carefully scrounged horde of parts at pretty much the right time to not lose my short on them. Unless you are a collector the new/repro hoses, diaphragms, mouthpieces, exhaust valves, mushroom valves, etc are much better than the originals.

-----

As a general advertisement - I still need a set of DA cans as I have enough new old stock parts to put together a brand new DA Aquamaster. It won't be exactly stock as I never could find a new second stage seat and stem for it, but I'll use the new second stage that's available for it.

Back
Top Bottom