I just got my new dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heads Up

Contributor
Reaction score
Finally, after almost a year of anticipation and saving up, I got my new dry suit yesterday - an Aerdura Dry Suit from Oceanic. Took it for a couple of dives today and it is FANTASTIC!!

First - made the move from cuff dump to auto dump - How easy is this!! What have I been missing up until now??

Did my dry suit training with PADI with the whole 'use your suit for buoyancy and NEVER use your BC except at the surface' routine - BOLL***S!! New suit equalised enough to prevent squeeze and used my BC for really accurate trim - BLISS!

Sorry to go on about it, but for my Christmas was TODAY!!

Thankyou Santa!

I don't quite know why the agencies teach that "use your suit for buoyancy" crap. I tried doing it their way and all it did was make me frustrated - and waste a lot of air filling and dumping my suit. Now I put just enough air in to get rid of the squeeze - the rest is easy.
I guess they figure that most divers can't manage two air spaces (actually 3, counting your lungs) at once.

- Tony

Yes, most agencies teach using the drysuit for buoyancy underwater and the BC only at the surface because it IS easier to only manage one airspace at a time. How easy do you think it is to dump air from your suit to avert a feet first ascent AND have to contend with dumping your BC at the same time? Not very.... :eek:

And yes, it DOES take time to master the skill... but anything involving buoyancy control usually does. Like any good diver, you learn the intricacies of how your equipment works & how best to use it.

In the end it's a matter of personal preference. Just remember that.

~SubMariner~

SubMariner -

You're absolutely right. I've found buoyancy control to be by far the hardest skill to master. There are just so many variables to consider. I dive fresh and salt water, wet and dry, singles and doubles, aluminum or steel, etc., etc....

Keeps it interesting though!

Yeah it certainly takes time to figure it out, but once you have it, you won't have worry about unlearning a bad habit later on. It will become second nature after a hundred dives or so, but at least you'll have it. Just keeping diving it that way, and it will come with time. Practice feet up drills and such to figure it out. It's no big deal, once you figure it out. I frequently stand on my head pearing inside a wreck or something -- not an issue once you figure things out.

The agencies are more concerned about getting students in and out with smiles on their faces for the most part. Using the drysuit for primary buoyancy control is easy and quick to teach and to learn, but that isn't the end of the story either. This is quite typical. It's a good thing you figured it out right off the bat.

Good luck.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom