I Hurt Myself Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great trip report but sorry you hurt your hand.

Ouch Mary.. You made me cringe reading that. I hope it heals fast and doesn't give you any future problems or pain.

David

Sorry to hear about your accident but am glad you are on the mend.

I have a question regarding the DAN insurance. If you have the preferred and something happens in Mexico, do they take the insurance there or do you have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed?

i fell down today ust outside of scc and my middle finger on my right hand bent all the way back. It ripped open my skin on the opposite side...and my finger was completely bent the wrong way. Everyone told me I had a compound fracture,,,they said they could see the bone sticking out. they called an ambulance I went to the hospital. they gave me an iv and called an orthopedic surgeon. they took an xray and my knuckle was completely dislodged from where it should be the xray looks wicked. but it is not broken the surgeon gave me shots in my fingers to numb it and he pulled it back into place I could hear the pop. He then sewed up my finger with 5 stitches. I have a cast on my middle finger. Lookds like I am giving everone the 'finger' I fell when it was raining really hard and my flip flop caught on the uneven concrete. i made it over to playa del carmen, but no cenotes for me.:shakehead:
my hospital visit was expensive but my insurance will cover all of it.

mary---cannot type so good

I'm so sorry to hear that. Try to make the best out of what's left of your trip. The water will still be there when you heal up!

Glad you're doing well. Nice find on the hotel. :thumb:
I have a question regarding the DAN insurance. If you have the preferred and something happens in Mexico, do they take the insurance there or do you have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed?
You can get DAN to guarantee or even advance funds for medical expenses - for dive accidents on any ins plan, or non-diving accidents on the Preferred ins plan - by calling them. Their site says up to $5,000 can be advanced, but if you need more - they won't leave you hanging. There is a different number to use in Latin America if calling collect; I'd probly just use my cell and try to main number; see you ID card, my current SIG or their web site. When in doubt or don't know, call them ASAP.

DAN Travel Assist is a little different, part of membership rather than insurance, covers you even in your home country if over 50 miles from home, and there is really a lot of coverage there...
1-800-326-3822 (1-800-DAN-EVAC)
If outside the USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, British or U.S. Virgin Islands, call +1-919-684-3483 (collect).

When you join DAN, you are automatically enrolled in DAN's travel assistance plan and your family is covered with your family membership. If you travel at least 50 miles/80 km from your permanent residence, TravelAssist is there to help 24 hours a day. DAN TravelAssist, through AIG Travel Assist, arranges emergency medical evacuations for any medical emergency - and provides many more benefits - for you and your immediate family members.

IMPORTANT: DAN TravelAssist must arrange ALL evacuations. If you make your own emergency evacuation arrangements DAN TravelAssist will not reimburse the cost.

More details: DAN Divers Alert Network : Membership : TravelAssist

I think Mary said that her medical insurance covers her fully there. Mine does not, so while DAN's Preferred plan non-diving accident plan is good to count on along with TravelAssist - I also do Trip Insurance when I leave the country.

Still, I'd call DAN to ask for help ASAP in any challenge, and the list of benefits is rather long at that link.

Thank you Dandy Don for answering much better than I ever could. Especially since I did not know all the answers. I know DAN has been great about contacting me. My sister was able to get a hold of them and they kept calling until I answered. I told them I no longer needed their assistance, but, appreciated their quick response. I am feeling well enough that I have extended my stay until 14 July 09. I know......I am bad.

I really want to finish what I started here. So, after my stitches are removed by the lovely folks here...I will be diving the cenotes and snorkeling with the whale sharks. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks to everyone who visited this thread. Scubaboard is a wonderful community of people I am truly discovering. And can be your saviours when needed.

Muchas Gracias,
Mary

Sorry to hear about your accident but am glad you are on the mend.

I did not use DAN for this accident. I paid with my credit card and will be reimbursed later through my medical insurance. I had to do this once before and made sure I used my Delta Sky Miles card. That bill was over $6000.00 US dollars.
(I know...I really am bad)

But, I was reimbursed every dime. And I got double the sky miles! Always the silver lining.:)

I guess my point is: have some kind of medical coverage. Sounds like DAN preferred is worth every penny.

Mary

Great. Cool that you could do so.

Hey, while you're waiting to heal enough to get back in the water, you could visit some Mayan ruins: Tulum, Coba, etc.

You have your laptop with you? Loading any pics? I use Photoworks.com but there are other hosting sites. SB Photo Gallery is working now, albeit imperfectly.

Absolutely, land tours are on the list. Now that I have two more weeks...I am going to do it all.

BTW: I got to meet DIVERDOWN and his lovely wife yesterday. Also, Judydivescoz (I think that is her user name). It is so cool to meet people in person after posting with them on SB. That is so fun!!

I will get me photos up and running. It has taken me a few days to get it together. But, things are progressing. Tylex CD really helps!

YIKES!! I can only say one thing....tequilla :D

hope you heal up soon!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom