I have quattros, should I get something else for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarjan

Contributor
Reaction score
First, I've tried force fins but my style does not work with them. I tried everything but just cant hack it with them in current, but the quattros are fine in all sorts of diving.

That being said the quattros are a bit big for travel, and I don't do much of any local diving. Is there anything else out there that gives a similar use profile/power but is a bit shorter? The quattros are just a hair long in my dive caddy setup and would love to get something slightly more optimal. If the answer is "no, deal with it" that's cool too, just trying to weigh my options.

All of my diving will be warm or warmish water. Heck, I get chilled in mid 80 degree water repeated dives if that means anything :)

I believe Jet Fins are a little shorter (but wider) and have a lot of power. I think the Jets are likely a bit heavier as well, which may be an issue for traveling.

I traveled all over the world with my Quattros and never had an issue. In fact I dive Jets now locally and kept my Quattros just for travel. By the comment "my dive caddy", I assume you carry these on? Mine always went in my checked suitcase and I never had an issue so that is a definite difference. Personally though, I would personally be happy to suck it up and live with it because I actually really like those fins. Either way, I am sure you will end up with a good fin. Sorry for the slight hijack.

I traveled all over the world with my Quattros and never had an issue. In fact I dive Jets now locally and kept my Quattros just for travel. By the comment "my dive caddy", I assume you carry these on? Mine always went in my checked suitcase and I never had an issue so that is a definite difference. Personally though, I would personally be happy to suck it up and live with it because I actually really like those fins. Either way, I am sure you will end up with a good fin. Sorry for the slight hijack.

Well if you look at my pic you will notice that I bring mine when travelling. In fact, I wear them when diving wetsuit (local and traveling) and revert to my Jetfins when diving dry with rockboots.

Just deal with it, or take a saw to the ends to make them fit.

I travel with my Quattros as well. If I was going to get a set of fins for travelling, I'd probably get a pair of the fullfoot Quattro Powers and be able to ditch the boots (provided I'm not going to Bonaire or something). I've heard their not quite the same but I imagine similar... doesn't help you though because the fullfoots are apparently longer fins.

IMO, the quatros are a better all around fin than the Jets. Having said that, neither is great for travel I suppose.

The Quatros are a very good fin. They're light too.
I'd probably find a way to pack your dive caddy a little differently so you can get them packed up easier.

-Mitch

Thanks all. Looks like I'll be practicing on packing the quattros in my caddy!

I've been playing with the whole travel fin thing for a while now, more concerned with weight than length as I don't use a carry on so they fit in my back ok. I've been trying to find light fins but after looking at many many diff fins and comparing weight it seems weight diff tends to be around 1.5kg between light and heavy fins, have decided to just dive the fins I like. For travel Im a little obsessed about having gear that is unlikely to break so fin wise have decided i will travel with my Revos. I like them but they are heavy weighing it at around 2.7kgs incl springs. Aqualung make a travel fin, short and light 1.5kg, maybe take a look it might fit your bill, there is a review or two on this board. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom