I have cebu questions! (& surrounding areas)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltySpit

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some help finding some information about Cebu and the surrounding area because I have heard a multitude of comments...some good, some bad.

quick background: I was originally going to be doing my divemaster training in thailand this coming summer because I had never been there before. However, my girlfriend will be studying in Cebu for 3 months, and I thought I would try doing my DMT there instead. Problem is, I know nothing about Cebu. So, I figured this would be a good place to start to get some idea of what to look for and what to expect.

First, I have heard that the cost of living in Cebu is more expensive than other areas of PI. I have been to Boracay, and I loved it there. It was "cheap", and the atmosphere was amazing. How comparable is Cebu to Boracay?

Also, I am interested in hearing from people who have used dive shops in Cebu (especially if you have done your DMT there) any information on this would be awesome!

Lastly, are there any areas that I could be looking at that would be close enough to Cebu so that I could visit there easily, but would have a better time (and possibly less expensive time) diving?

I am sure that there is a ton of information about these questions on the forum already, but the computer I am on loads web pages slower than snot on sandpaper. But I got really excited about the possibility of going back to the philippines, and so I wanted to get something started...

Any ways, any help would be appreciated and I thank you in advance for it!

try buboy mancao of liquid assets. he's a legend. he was training a DM when i last dove with him.

the way i figure if boracay was "cheap" then cebu would be "even cheaper"... being a major city it has loads of stuff that would on boracay be "iimported" ... so costs go down... accomods choices will range from teh spartan to the shangrila...

your GF is studying at the IAFT in cebu?

Jag

Here are some dive sites maps around and near Cebu...

Malapascua:
MalapascuaIslandDiveSites.jpg

Moalboal:
MoalboalDiveSitesMap.jpg

Bohol: (about 2 hours boat ride from Cebu)
BoholDiveSites.jpg

Jag is right, if Boracay is "cheap"... Cebu and Bohol could be "very cheap" to you.
Enjoy your stay here in Paradise.:wink:

here's some dive sites in Cebu:

2263917851_f656a342d1_o.jpg

got to dive cebu really cheap because the DM was classmates with my friend and there was 10 of us so there was plenty to share the boat fare with. there's more to do in Cebu than boracay, being a city and all. it's close to a lot of really wonderful dive sites as boljakool pointed out.

Hi Lee, that's a pretty good list.

I'd probably skip Mactan (for diving) unless your significant other demands a 5 star Shangri La Hotel stay...

Moalboal - haven't been there but it seems to be getting a better reputation in terms of diving lately.

Sogod - lots a travel involved - resorts are basic - seems to be having a bad year in terms of whale shark sighting (oops, I hope I don't jinx the crowd heading there this weekend). Great walls (Napantaw) and beautiful coral although the fishlife is a bit lacking vs other sites.

Apo/ Dumaguete - Stay in Dumaguete/ Duain at maybe Altantis or El Dorado. Nice resorts and they can get you across to Apo Island for day trips. Duain - great macro diving in black volcanic sand. Apo Island - nice walls, beautiful corals, and if you like drift dives... Must do Coconut Point during a strong current... fasten your seatbelt...:wink:

Malapascua - nice island with white beaches but most of the resorts are pretty basic. Water is brackish for showering... The folks over at Exotic have a nice setup with restaurant and dive shop in house. Of course you got the Threshers and Mantas at Monad Shoal. Great macro over at the Lighthouse (1 of the best places to see mating Mandarin Fish). Gato Island can be interesting. Coral isn't great but u/w topography is interesting - various caves, sleeping white tips, etc... A few interesting large wrecks but will involve hiring out the boat all day.

Bohol (Alona Beach) - good selection of resorts from basic to pretty nice 3-4star equivalent. Balicasag Island is a great dive - lush walls, schooling barracuda, etc.

Might also suggest Cabilao Island - beautiful walls with some of the largest sea fans I've seen. Might see schools of barracuda at the point.

Other things to consider are transit time. But pretty much Mactan Airport/ Cebu City would be your hub.

Also, the 4-5 star resorts on Mactan (Shangri La, Hilton, etc) plus modern malls/restaurants in Cebu City might be a nice way to break up the trip. Say, rough it on Malapascua for 4 days, then stop back in Mactan/ Cebu City and stay at a nice resort for a nice bed and warm fresh water shower, etc... Then head off for your next destination.

Depending on your flights from Singapore and whether you decide to enter via Manila or directly to Cebu, you could fly from Manila to Dumaguete, do Dauin/ Apo Island, then take the fast ferry to Tagbilaran (Bohol) to do Alona Beach/ Balicasag ISland. Then take the fast ferry back to Cebu to avoid backtracking (also more flight options from Cebu->Manila).

tah dah!

thanks for the info thus far...it's a great help. and no Jag, she won't be going to IAFT. she'll be attending a language institute.

Tim Aukshun has a new shop in Camotes Island (2 hours by boat from Cebu) oceandeep.biz he's a PADI CD

Back
Top Bottom