I have been wrestling with Vytec and Smart Pro...please help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa M

Registered
Reaction score
I have been wrestling with whether to get a Suunto Vytec or a Uwatec SmartPro and would really appreciate hearing people's opinions of, and experiences with, these two computers. :confused:

I dive nitrox, deep (deco)and cold. I like Vytec's ability to switch gas % underwater (can this be done with the SmartPro?). I also like that Vytec, if violated won't lock-out but goes into gauge mode...I believe the SmartPro now does the same(?).

I read with interest MacLeod's post regarding the review on Rodale's about the SmartPro not displaying no-deco time if in microbubble "mode". If I understand his point properly, I can see the problem with this. Any one know if this is true?

The SmartPro does have some nice features as well from what I have read.

Like I said I have been struggling with this question and to date have not found anyone familiar with these computers to discuss this with. My local LDS doesn't carry either of these two computers. :(

I would be very grateful to hear your thoughts/experiences!
Thank you very much!!
Lisa
:)

My understanding (which is often flawed btw), from reading the manual, is this:

The Smart displays "no-stop time": this will equal the NDL if MB level is 0 (ie no "microbubble suppression"). However, it will be less and less for each successive MB level above 0 (1 to 5).

When a "level-stop" is indicated, the "no-stop time" won't be displayed anymore. Basically, the computer expects you to follow ascent instructions, or the MB level will be reduced and the algorithm adjusted to be less conservative.

For "step-ascend" divers, who progressively "back-off" on their NDLs, this is a PITA. But I guess it's the price of being microbubble conservative (the Uwatec way).

That's the way I read it. Somebody please let me know if I have it wrong. I too am struggling with Suunto RGBM vs UWatec MB.

Mark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom