I hate winter...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been in the negative digits (30-40 below last week) here in Fairbanks, Alaska for the past month. For January, our monthly average high temperature was -18f, and the low was somewhere around -50f.

You think you hate winter? You have no idea...

-Brandon.

Reel Crazy14:
Winter isn't that bad! Although the water may get a little colder and murkier, a good drysuit will make winter diving much more enjoyable. I don't know about anywhere else but winter brings big critters like whales and sand tiger sharks to the area. The spearfishing is also at its prime about this year. Come on! Warm, clear water can get boring after a while!

Agreed.... especially on the fishing. I am just bummed with wind, rough water, and trip after trip being blown out.

matts1w:
Agreed.... especially on the fishing. I am just bummed with wind, rough water, and trip after trip being blown out.
Get your butt down here! We're expecting 2' seas on the Spiegel Grove this afternoon, and we have an empty seat with YOUR NAME ON IT! Actually, we have a whole bunch of empty seats! Call me at 305.453.9600 or 888.953.9600 if you can join us.

KeyLargoBrent:
Get your butt down here! We're expecting 2' seas on the Spiegel Grove this afternoon, and we have an empty seat with YOUR NAME ON IT! Actually, we have a whole bunch of empty seats! Call me at 305.453.9600 or 888.953.9600 if you can join us.

You are killing me, and alas I am stuck at the other job with the young and brightest minds in beautiful Cape Coral...sigh....

fairbanksdiver:
It's been in the negative digits (30-40 below last week) here in Fairbanks, Alaska for the past month. For January, our monthly average high temperature was -18f, and the low was somewhere around -50f.

You think you hate winter? You have no idea...

-Brandon.

And then there's those who come/move to Florida and proceed to ****** about the heat in the summer for 5 months....and the humidity......and the bugs.....and the traffic.......

Sigh. Funny, I thought the thread was posted in the Florida section, not Alaska/California/NEWrecks.............I wish people would learn a little more about why our conditions are not conducive to diving before yapping about how much more macho they are than we are.

And Brent, you're killing me!!! One day I really am going to start abusing my sick leave policy at work............. :D

KBeck:
Sigh. Funny, I thought the thread was posted in the Florida section, not Alaska/California/NEWrecks.............I wish people would learn a little more about why our conditions are not conducive to diving before yapping about how much more macho they are than we are.

Krista Rules!!!!

Imagine if we started the same in the other geographic regions?

I don't think fairbanks diver is trying act "macho", I think he is just making a great point; that people here in Florida start whining and moaning when the water gets below 70 degrees, all the while water temp in Alaska never rises above 70 even in the summer. I think his comment makes people appreciate living in Florida even more.

Reel Crazy14:
I don't think fairbanks diver is trying act "macho", I think he is just making a great point; that people here in Florida start whining and moaning when the water gets below 70 degrees, all the while water temp in Alaska never rises above 70 even in the summer. I think his comment makes people appreciate living in Florida even more.

Yeah, wasn't trying to be macho, just jealous.

Like so much else, it's all about perspective. I remember the first time I went to Maui, and went out to dinner with a friend. He was grabbing a sweater, because it was a "chilly" 72 degrees out. I was sweating in a t-shirt.... his 72 degrees was a full 112 degrees warmer than what I had just left, but 20 degrees colder than what he was used to.

Winter takes a tough toll on you here: it's been below freezing for the past 4 months, below zero more than half of that time, it was dark for almost an entire month... you name it, this is a miserable place to live.

I really don't know squat about Florida diving, but I know that you've got plenty of water around you that isn't frozen solid right now, and that's a heck of a lot better than it is here! It's a 6 hour drive to get to something that's even liquid.

I did choose to live here though, but not for much longer... May 13th and headed back down south! I have never been so excited.

Indulge my jealously, dammit =)

Here's hoping that winter is over soon for everyone!

-Brandon.

Sorry, there Brandon; just hit a funny bone with me and you just happened to be convenient.

To clarify, we hate winter because we can't dive because of the winds, NOT because we WON'T dive in the cold. :D Better? :D We keep faithfully hoping every week, however..........someday.........(looking sadly at all the new gear ready and waiting to be tried out.........though it'll be due for a vis and servicing before we get to dive again........). Actually, my tanks were due for a viz this month.............and they're STILL full............grrrrrrrrrrr.....

And Brandon, and all other northerners, you're always welcome for a visit for some dives.......the Conch Rum Tote awaits......... :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom