I hate my snorkel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't even tell you how many rescues I did when I taught in Key Largo because some diver from anytown USA had their Instructor tell them if they could dive inthe local quarry they could dive anywhere. James Croft hit it on the head perfectly. I have saved tech guys and all sorts of divers who if they had a snorkel in their mouth and kept their mask on their face they would be fine, instead of me towing their butts back to the Boat.

How about mask on and reg in? :D

That would be good!
For some reason people like to chat on the surface, then a wave hits their face and it goes downhill from there. I teach only private courses here and spend a lot of time telling my students why things like snorkels are a good idea. Unless you are in an overhead environment I think you should have one. That being said, try to be safe and it is up to you what you wear

In my limited diving experience, I've found snorkels useful for these few small tasks:

1) Checking to make sure my masking isn't leaking and is properly underneath my hood (so I can shove my head underwater and stay that way for a half minute or so)

2) Removing my fins if I'm having a clumsy day and need to see them :shakehead:

3) Checking the depth when I'm swimming back to shore

4) At reefs (such as GBR) where the dive is on a wall where the top is about 5 ft, snorkeling at the end is excellent

I guess I could use my regular for the first 3 of those, but I'd just assume save the air.

I've never found them to be uncomfortable or in my way, but I always wear a hood too.

If you decide to keep it in your kit and wear it when you dive, but don't want it grabbing on your ears and don't want to wear a full hood, you should look into this (or something similar): (links to Terrapin wetsuits) Accessories - scroll down to the headband section, or check out the fun beanies. they protect your ears and keep the heat in your head (the beanie does at least) without having the bulk of a full hood or hooded vest. I have a beanie, as do a bunch of my fellow divecons/instructors and we all find them really comfy for cool/mild temp diving.

I very rarely take a snorkel diving with me, even if it is a course. And I don't insist on a student wearing it, standards or not. I teach people to dive, not to follow rules blindly even when they're patently absurd. A snorkel worn on the mask strap is likely to make the mask leak, especially in a current.

While I'm on my anti-RSTC rant, what thinking person can ever think that the most important aspect of a weight system is that it's easy to dump? In quite a few dives I've never come across a problem caused because the diver couldn't dump their weights, but I've witnessed a number of potentially very serious incidents caused by weights falling off prematurely. I can think of more nonsenses like this.

I can't even tell you how many rescues I did when I taught in Key Largo because some diver from anytown USA had their Instructor tell them if they could dive inthe local quarry they could dive anywhere. James Croft hit it on the head perfectly. I have saved tech guys and all sorts of divers who if they had a snorkel in their mouth and kept their mask on their face they would be fine, instead of me towing their butts back to the Boat.

all find and good but they just don't work with a HOG configuration.

I'd also say that your having to rescue so many people is more of a failure of training or learning than that of equipment.

How about mask on and reg in? :D
Just as good on a surface swim unless it is not possible grab a tag line or find an upline and you have to do the swim-for-life. Eventually you will go through the 500 psi you surfaced with. With no snorkel you can swim on your back pretty well but sooner or later you may need to swim face down as your legs tire.

I have had to swim hard in current and have become tired as I tired to make it to a boat. I switch from swimming on my back to swimming face down as various leg muscle groups play out. Face down in waves requires a reg in the mouth or a snorkel to be efficient. Any wave action and you will be swallowing some water and having problems. Mark Spitz would need a snorkel to swim in some of the chop I have been in.

I hope and plan to come up the upline on all my boat dives or at least grab the tag line. I have been in situations where things have gone south and s**t happens. Combine current and or waves and you will want a snorkel. I kid you not and don't say I didn't warn you. On a quarry dive I don't think it makes a big difference.

The reason training agencies tell you to keep a reg in your mouth is to keep you from drinking the ocean. Most of the time that works the best. It is better than a snorkel as long as you have air. Once you deplete air that reg is worse than useless.

I dive places like the Outer Banks where it may be calm one moment and rough upon surfacing.

I also have seen folks try beach dives w/o a snorkel and during the swim they have to fight some current, etc. They have airway problems and end up breathing their air from a reg out to the wreck. Sorta cuts the dive short when they get there with 1000 psi in their tanks.
I tell them I will meet them back at the beach later as I arrive with a full tank.

More accurately - take snorkel off, store in a drawer until fall quarter when it'll have to be attached again during stress & rescue class ... *sigh*

One thing I really like about your approach to scuba, is that you are taking classes past the basis OWC. IMHO, the biggest mistake most divers make is to stop taking classes. There is always more to learn! The people I have the most problems with are the folks who have been diving for years and don't see a need to dive regularly to stay sharp. They are a complete disaster and an accident waiting to happen.

Success! Used two zip ties to create an attachment point on the snorkel, and a rubber band to hook it to my BC. Instructors were happy, I was happy, all was well. :)

Glad you got it figured out! Nothing like having something that bothers you in your face- I put up with the annoyance simply because, like I said, I do really like my snorkel. But if you don't like it and it's hitting you or getting in your way or tangling your hair, it could get old fast! Good deal!

(did you ever get my pm btw?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom