I hate my snorkel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More accurately - take snorkel off, store in a drawer until fall quarter when it'll have to be attached again during stress & rescue class ... *sigh*

I know a guy who put giant plugs in his earlobes. I suspect a properly pierced earlobe with a large enough hole would be a great snorkel keeper. Just remove plugs, insert snorkel. How big are your piercings?

I started snorkeling as a kid before I took up scuba so I am very comfortable with one. I also consider it a vital piece of survival gear when diving in the ocean or other bodies of water where waves can kick up. I attribute a snorkel to allowing me to make a surface swim back to a boat in the ocean after missing the upline and getting swept off by current. The two other divers with me got exhausted, swallowed half the ocean and had to be picked up later much worse for wear. Inland or cave divers may not need one but I do.

PADI is not the only agency that requires a snorkel. As a YMCA DM/AI and soon to be instructor it is part of what is called the minimum scuba leadership kit for us. So I have to have it. Standards do not dictate where it has to be. Mine folds up so it is usually in a pocket. Some others I know have it with them- in their gear bag or truck at the dive site. Students must have them but even then it does not say where they have to wear it on the dives. I guess it is assumed on their mask but I'd have no issue if a student had one with a quick release like I have and removed it and stuck it in a pocket or under a strap once we went under. I have actually never used mine in chop. If the waves are that big that I cannot breath with just my head out of the water I keep the reg in. Of course this assumes you properly plan your dive to not run out of air. As for the instructor who allowed you to not have it on you since it would interfere with long hose deployment I agree with this even though technically according to standards you are required to have one on you.

Zip-tying a bolt-snap to the snorkel will allow you to clip it off to any D-ring.

Some of those Octo-holder things will also work. Slip the mouthpiece of the snorkel into the octo-holder and then clip it wherever you want.

They can come in handy on a boat or shore dive.

I use a foldable one.

When we missed the upline and came up in choppy water we had sufficient air until we had to swim on the surface. After a while the two without a snorkel ran their tanks empty. Then they had a tough time swimming on the surface and got many a mouthful of water when they wanted air. My snorkel allowed me to swim and breath and I was able to make headway and get back to the boat. It is not hard to burn 500 psi when swimming hard. I wont take to the ocean without my snorkel.

Strap it next to the big knife that is attached to your leg.:wink: That way it is visible during the course. Then when you are done the training, do with it what you want.

Personally, I spent the $15 on a collapsible one and keep it in my BCD pocket when I am working as a DM. It weighs next to nothing. You can always sell your expensive snorkel to someone who is just starting out.:D

My husband takes his apart -- the mouthpiece and main shaft will separate, and he separates them and can fit the components in the pocket of his BC.

If you had a BP/W, you could stick the snorkel on the harness where a backup light goes :D

This is where I have mine if I need it :D

Rachel

Sorry, I just have never heard of it bothering someone that much.

Me neither. I have done several hundred dives, and it's never bothered me. Then Again, I do like to snorkel outside of scuba.

I can't even tell you how many rescues I did when I taught in Key Largo because some diver from anytown USA had their Instructor tell them if they could dive inthe local quarry they could dive anywhere. James Croft hit it on the head perfectly. I have saved tech guys and all sorts of divers who if they had a snorkel in their mouth and kept their mask on their face they would be fine, instead of me towing their butts back to the Boat.

Back
Top Bottom