I hate my snorkel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually really like my snorkel, but it does get tangled in my hair if I dive sans hood. I like to wear either a full hood or a hoodie for that reason (also keeps my hair out of my mask better).

Snorkels are a preference. You either like them or you don't. They have their uses. If you don't like using them, that's your deal.

Geeze, how many dives do you have left to do for your course? It can't be so bad you can wear it for a few more dives. Leave it off when you're done training...

Geeze, how many dives do you have left to do for your course? It can't be so bad you can wear it for a few more dives. Leave it off when you're done training...

4 pool sessions and 2 OW dives per specialty (5 specialties). I'd rather not have to deal with it for essentially 14 more dives. If it bothered you as much as it bothers me, you'd understand.

Just get two little things to deal with the problem. First a zip tie and second, a D ring to attach to your BC. Cinch up the zip tie with the snorkel and D ring and you are good to go. Just go to your Home Depot, Lowes, or hardware store and buy a $1.50 D ring, ask your anally challenged instructor for a zip tie and you are done. Will it flop around, yes. Is it on your mask, no. Is it a good way to rig your gear, not a chance. If you need it, is it available, yes. You are following both the rule and spirit on the rule for your class. Let's have everyone be happy while you are taking the class.

BTW, congratulations for getting additional training past your basic certification!

Well, I wouldn't recommend this, because you are diving in what sounds like cold water, and it wouldn't work with a dry or semidry suit; but when I did my training, my instructor said he didn't care where it was, just that we had to have it on us......so, we stuck them into our wetsuits. (in the top) A little uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it. A leg strap sounds kinda good, but if you were doing any sort of diving involving kelp or other "tagabouts", it would be bound to get caught at times. If you aren't using things would regularily attach to your harness straps (light, etc.) you could put it on there. As to the snorkel, I don't know if you've bought one yet....my instructor told us not to waste our money on a fancy snorkel, as we intend to spend most of our diving time below 2 fsw. I also noticed when I did DPV dives, that anything that wasn't in front of you while you were moving, (such as a snorkel in your wetsuit) flapped around and didn't really stay put.

Anyways, I hope that helps. I'm just about as new to diving as you are, with only 12 logged dives (excluding training dives) so I definitely don't have the best advice.....obviously.

You are definitely right. Besides, I wouldn't want to leave off my snorkel. It really comes in handy when you are scootering out to your descent place on the surface, and don't want to waste the gas.

By the way! CONGRATULATIONS ON COMPLETING (or coming close, I don't know when you finish) YOUR TRAINING!!!!

driftwood - I'm lovin' your idea. I happen to have those exact things laying around in my garage, so I should be able to rig this up in no time. One of the specialties we're doing is DPV so we'll see how that works! :11: But at least it will be on me and I can unhook it fairly easily if I need it for whatever reason. I may even try sticking it down the front of my suit. I wear a 3mm in the pool but I'm thinking about stripping down to the lycra skin for next week, I was getting pretty warm in the 77° water.

vicdiver - my instructor (OW, not AOW, different instructors but from the same LDS) is the one that told me to get the expensive snorkel and I foolishly believed him. :11doh: Live and learn. I don't buy anything without independent research now.

Although I agree with you completely, that doesn't help the OP, whose instructors is quite rightly insisting she have a snorkel, as his standards require it.

I did my PADI specialties in a bp/w and long hose and my instructor let me go without a snorkel since it prevented proper deployment of the long hose, so I suspect there's some amount of leeway that instructors are permitted ( or I just got lucky and came across an instructor that was willing to bend the rules).

4 pool sessions and 2 OW dives per specialty (5 specialties). I'd rather not have to deal with it for essentially 14 more dives. If it bothered you as much as it bothers me, you'd understand.

Sorry, I just have never heard of it bothering someone that much.

Violakat, guess I wont put our snorkel on the side of the pool for you next week :crossbone

Didn't know you got a knuckle slap for it.... Sowwy

On a similar note, now I am thinking about putting a bolt-snap on my snorkel with a zip tie and clipping it to my BCD this week. I'll bring you one if you want :)

Back
Top Bottom