I hate my snorkel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

violakat03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
.. But the AOW instructor insists I have to have it somewhere on me. Considering I way overspent for my semi-dry snorkel I don't want to spend more money to get a collapsible one, so are there any other suggestions for attaching it somewhere other than my mask strap? It always ends up snagging on my cartilage piercing in my upper ear which hurts, or bending my ear funny, or just generally all sorts of in the way. For class last night, I took it completely off and laid it on the pool deck, but he noticed it as I was getting out of the water and said I needed to have it on me next week, so I'd love to have some recommendations on what to do.

It is a PADI standard (if your course is a PADI one) that students and instructors must have a snorkle. This is probably the only reason your instructor is making you use it, talk to him and find out. It it is the reason and he doesn't really care where you have it as long as you have one one your person you can try ziptying it to your tank straps or some other out of the way place. It makes it useless and looks stupid, but since PADI standards don't say where the snorkle has to be or that it has to be accessible it works.
It could also just get him annoyed at you.

I clip mine to a D ring on the bottom of my BCD. If available if I need it, and out of the way if I don't.

I had the same problem when i took AOW; I found my snorkel and had to knock a wasp nest out of it before i could use it. I just suffered through it for the course, so I have no good suggestion.

My wife and I got our PADI AOW in Belize. Neither one of us carried a snorkel. I guess they operated under a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

I would zip tie it to my backplate unless I was going to do some snorkelling during the surface interval.

I would use the special eBay mount for your snorkel, and they buy the collapsible one if you have to have one.

How long is the class, wear it, finish the class, do what you want with it., Wear it, don't wear it after the class, it's your choice. With that AOW you should be able to make an informed decision

My husband takes his apart -- the mouthpiece and main shaft will separate, and he separates them and can fit the components in the pocket of his BC.

If you had a BP/W, you could stick the snorkel on the harness where a backup light goes :D

I've found one and brought it back from a dive. Just tuck it under a snug strap.

I like the strap it to your leg suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom