i found a free source of air.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get my tanks filled at the local fire dept. They have a nice compressor with an armored compartment that tanks sit in when filling. Since I think that air quality is more important at depth than to them with SCBA I make sure to monitor when they change the filter. (not really an issue since the machine only has 10 hours on it). The local department has two scuba tank adapters for some reason and I recall hearing that they were $100 each.

well the local dive shop is about 20 min away. the fire dept is 5 blocks away. i plan on doing alot of diving so if i could save money it would be great, but with that said there is no amount of savings worth risking my life over. i will go down and talk to them and look the setup over real good before i make a decision. thanks

Actually, talk to the guy that WORKS on their compressors. The guy that came in to repair ours at the dive shop had horror stories about FD compressors. Like "we've had this thing for 5 years and bought it used, are we supposed to change the oil or anything?" as it sits there coughing out black smoke.

Was talking to one of the local FD guys today. Asked them if they knew what grade air they had. They didnt, but they said some of the county (sheriff??) divers filled their tanks there. You would hope they were using it because it was good scuba air...

Your'e Gonna Die!:shocked2:

:D
but seriously if there is no one there who don't know I would not chance it!

surley the FD would have a RD who would know.:idk:

Yes, as mentioned here earlier, there is a difference in the connections but you can get adapters. Your lds should be able to help you or the fire chief or whoever is in charge of the compressor should be able to help you with locating the said adapters.
Talk to the fire chief as to the air quality. I fill mine at the local F.D. and have not had any problems, I breathed that compressed air for quit a few years as a volunteer fire fighter/medic when I was younger and not into diving.
Good luck and safe and happy diving to you...

I have been told that the FD will use class D air. SCUBA should use class E air. Check out the differences and determine if you are willing to take the risk. My son is in fire school now, can't wait for him to top off my O2 fills with air for my $15 a tank nitrox.

Free for you? My FD charges $5 per fill.

A few issues, some of which were mentioned above:

-Many FDs use a containment system for filling, which is a container that protects staff in case the cylinder explodes during the filling process. Often a standard aluminum 80 will fit in these containment systems, but other scuba cylinders won't. An AL100 probabaly won't fit. Free ain't free if your cylinders won't fit in their containment system.

-Ask for a copy of their compressor air analysis. If they balk, send them a written request using the Freedom of Information Act format. Make sure that their air meets scuba breathing air requirements, especially if you're using steel cylinders.

-Fitting adapters are available through scuba compressor vendors such as Northeast Scuba Supply.

I couldn't fill my doubles at the local FD, and couldn't do any air top-offs for pp blending, so I ended up buying my own compressor. Having your own compressor is a serious love-hate relationship. Love it when it's time to dive, hate it when it's time for cleaning and repairs.

Free for you? My FD charges $5 per fill.

A few issues, some of which were mentioned above:

-Many FDs use a containment system for filling, which is a container that protects staff in case the cylinder explodes during the filling process. Often a standard aluminum 80 will fit in these containment systems, but other scuba cylinders won't. An AL100 probabaly won't fit. Free ain't free if your cylinders won't fit in their containment system.

-Ask for a copy of their compressor air analysis. If they balk, send them a written request using the Freedom of Information Act format. Make sure that their air meets scuba breathing air requirements, especially if you're using steel cylinders.

-Fitting adapters are available through scuba compressor vendors such as Northeast Scuba Supply.

I couldn't fill my doubles at the local FD, and couldn't do any air top-offs for pp blending, so I ended up buying my own compressor. Having your own compressor is a serious love-hate relationship. Love it when it's time to dive, hate it when it's time for cleaning and repairs.

I have been toying with the compressor idea myself. I would love to do some PP blending, but in the long run, a compressor is just to expensive for the diving I do. Now if I could find some tanks to build a cascade......

Very few will pump to 3000 psi, I think they bank at 2200 or so. This is what happens when they fill our tanks for Diveheart. I assumed it was for the SCBA requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom