I drank the koolaid!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, now that those people have (I assume) long since passed T1, do they still drill all the time? Most of the T1+ folks I dive with are like Rainer: dive for fun, train occasionally to keep the skills honed and to work up for the oddballs.
One passed away last month, one is a UTD instructor, one is continuing classes with another agency, two are now diving for lobsters and photos and one has become a champion marathon runner and has stopped diving for now.

Would love to he the 3rd TM for Nov class, but buying the gear and class in the same month just don't workout for me. Hmm, could auction off the kids and sell the dogs (might just be enuff $$) lol.

Congrats Leeanne! I'm taking Fundies in December with Steve and Bob! So excited! It took the gang about a year to get me entirely moved over but I have found I feel much better in the water, am a safer diver, and have better buddies now that I've got on board with the "DIR" thing. I call it a thing because because everyone chooses to use that term differently.
I'm so looking foward to improving my diving through Fundies. Plus...it has "fun" in the name! If you can't get on a November class you should join us in December!

Great news! Steve emailed me last night, and he has another student for a November class. (Charlie isn't quite ready for Fundies - but he may still do a Primer class.) So we've got two people. I'm stoked!

Now if the weather will cooperate so I can go out and get wet this weekend...

Lee, my wife and i ditched our bcs and took the plunge on two infinitys and all new 1st and sec from halcyon. long hoses and spgs- i dove mine this last weekend it was awsome you wont be disapointed. I looked at all the bp out there some sharp, some not but i went with halcyon ( your gonna love the quick cinch) in the water and out. i think you get what you pay for. qaulity,service,it shows in there workmanship...my 2 cents.

Hi LeeAnne,

You're going to love your Halcyon BP&W. They're a good company and stand behind their products. I've purchased 2 single tank BP&W rigs from them and one doubles rig over the years. The only time I needed help with a leak in a wing, they promptly replaced it with no questions even though the damage was probably my fault. I loved the handle I had on my Halcyon wing. I loved how small and compact it was. I managed to amortize my main H BP&W down to under $1/dive before I declared the wing ready for retirement since the black was fading and I had a few urchin spines in it. I'm sure I could dab some aquaseal on there and safely use it for years to come if I wanted.

My current BP&W is a DSS mainly because Tobin is just up the road from me and I can drive up there and drool over his machine shop from time to time. To me, there is something really special about seeing each of the machines used to make the parts for my DSS rig and having an intimate understanding of how it all goes together (I'm an engineer, I can't help it...). I also like to support local mfrs whenever I can. The last point I'll make about DSS is that you can easily get at the inner bladder on many (all?) of their wings and make patches to fix any small holes from accidents or rough handling. I'm hard on my gear so this is a great feature for me.

We are really fortunate to have so many good businesses in the tech and tech-leaning dive equipment community. I'm sure that OMS, DR, Hollis, or any of the other major players all have great products and would take good care of you, too.

Any BP&W is going to let you slip through the water with much less effort than a vest style BC and help you keep trim easier. Having good trim will let you relax and focus your attention on whatever it is that you're currently interested in (be it worshiping worms like that silly Max Bottomtime or grabbing for your valves while trying to learn to back kick like that nutjob Overstreet).

The long hose thing sure is nice when you're diving with similar folks. It can be cumbersome when you're the only one dressed like that, though. When I took my rescue class with 3 other typical rental gear folks, I found it to be extra work. I screwed up really bad one time by donating the long hose to a very real and very scared OOA diver who subsequently floated up and let go of the reg while I was reaching down for my SPG (that person had a gear failure and was way positive and I didn't recognize it). If a typical diver (non long hose trained) comes up to you OOA, don't treat them like your long hosed buddies - give them air and then grab on to them - at least for a few seconds until you figure out what is going on.

Don't get too caught up in the religion side. It changes so quickly that one could make a full time hobby out of just trying to keep up. Keep having fun and surround yourself with folks who add to your enjoyment underwater!

Cheers,
Ross-O

Excellent advice, Ross-O! Thanks!

I'll try not to get too caught up in the "spiritual" aspects of it. Although I'm not sure that will be possible, after reading Vladimir's absolutely hilarious template for a Fundies review! It sounds almost EST-like in it's intensity. :wink:

It has a lot of parallels with EST seminars . . . they don't break to let you pee in Fundies, either :)

It has a lot of parallels with EST seminars . . . they don't break to let you pee in Fundies, either :)

:rofl3:

That's why I wear a wetsuit...:blinking:

If a typical diver (non long hose trained) comes up to you OOA, don't treat them like your long hosed buddies - give them air and then grab on to them - at least for a few seconds until you figure out what is going on.

I love you!!!

Where were you at when the Scubaboard DIR types were hammering me when I told them that long hose/short hose doesn't necessarily work well with conventional divers?:dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom