I drank the koolaid!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think your post only serves to perpetuate the "Us vs Them" thing, which the DIR community seems to be working pretty hard to end. It really doesn't have to be that way. It's NOT a religion, it's not a cult. It's just a style of diving. :)

Au contraire, ma belle dame!!!

My post indicates that not all DIR divers are of "those" types, and that they all don't drink the Kool-Aid, and that they are open minded and adaptable when they dive with others who are not trained or configured the same way.

Just from the level of civility in this thread alone shows the difference.

Au contraire, ma belle dame!!!

My post indicates that not all DIR divers are of "those" types, and that they all don't drink the Kool-Aid, and that they are open minded and adaptable when they dive with others who are not trained or configured the same way.

Just from the level of civility in this thread alone shows the difference.

Well okay then! Mea culpa! :D :kiss2:

Looks like I'm the :dork2:

By the way, Spg01 - you have the best avatar on SB! (From a MAJOR Pink Floyd fan!)

Who has the best signature?

Oh, shoot, that's TRUE. How can you become a frothing-at-the-mouth holier-than-thou DIR convert, if the brainwashing isn't effective? :D

Just catching up.

As George Irvine said, there are only a handfull of divers he would consider DIR. The ones I see on the West Coast with scooters in open water, monkey diving and doing barrel rolls are simply playing under water.

Phil, this one ran its course years ago. The general consensus on SB back then was "Not DIR but sure looks fun." However, times change and so do peoples' perceptions. Bottom line...things evolve. What really is DIR any more...does it really matter ?

I had a nice conversation with Karim the other day. He described to me the recent changes in the Fundies course from when I took it years ago (1st generation Tech Pass). IMHO some of the changes are certainly for the better.

The course has always offered great learning opportunities, but it sounds like it is certainly more geared toward enabling people to succeed. I think that's a good thing...people will likely take more away from the course and more people will be encouraged to take it. There's nothing wrong with that.

To the OP (Leejnd), congrats on your recent gear purchase. I've owned several Halcyon products over the years and I can personally attest to the quality, longevity, and excellent customer service.

For others who have considered rocking the H, but balk at the full retail sticker price , here's a couple things to keep in mind - 1. Shop around you don't have to pay full retail price; 2. It its holds value very well; 3. e-bay is your friend (and so is SB or Deco Stop).

Best of luck in your upcoming course, Leejnd.

Last edited:
Thanks again for considering us and doing your comparative shopping on Kool aid products.

Thank you for your visit to our dive shop. I hope your experience was a good one.
From what I can see on this lengthy thread, it seems like you were satisfied.

Enjoy your DIR Fundies training and have fun.

We do log on to SB from time to time and lurk around the Los Angeles diving forum. Good to see all you active divers on here.

We serve a lot of types of Kool aid here at this dive shop. Red, Blue, Green and Orange. From what we can tell, the Blue kool Aid is very very tasty for some reason.

The other kool aid is tasty too but people don't talk about it as much. Hmmm we find that very curious.

The best thing you could do would be choose the flavor you like and swish it around in your mouth. Get it right down inside the taste buds. Make sure you like the taste. If it is good swallow it. If it tastes bad, spit it out and try another flavor. We would be happy to serve it.

Your friends from HD.

HAHAHAHA!!! Love it! :laughing:

Thank YOU guys for such awesome customer service. My Fundies class with Steve starts on Sunday, and I'm very excited.

Lee, I can't WAIT to read your class report!

I've got my outline ready! Oh, and just to ensure that I don't miss any of the important rites of passage, I have purposely attached a brass double-ender to my D-ring, so that Steve can summarily and with an appropriate amount of disdain, snap it off and discard it. :D

Back
Top Bottom