I Don't Need A Bumper Sticker For Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using doubles sounds like a great way to solve this problem.

If someone is so stupid that they can't figure out the doubles aren't theirs...:11:

Zieg, your story of diver incompetence is impressive. If I were to surface to find another diver using one of my tanks, Oxygen toxicity would be the least of that diver's worries. :light:. The scenario you present is about the only way I can ever imagine somebody else using one of my tanks while I am on the boat, without me jumping them the second they try to put their BC on it. Your scenario is a possibility, although rare, and I know most of the Divemasters well enough that they would not let it happen.

Overall, I can say that if I was a dive operator, I would stick HUGE stickers all over my rental tanks in an attempt to insulate myself from liability. But I did not start this discussion from the perspective of a dive operator, rather I am thinking only of personally owned tanks, and I just can't see the necessity or utility or covering my expensive steel tanks in stickers.

SparticleBrane:
Using doubles sounds like a great way to solve this problem.

If someone is so stupid that they can't figure out the doubles aren't theirs...:11:

Depends on the mix. If its a good one like a cave filled set of 15/55 and the dive is good, I might make that 'mistake':eyebrow:

CGA rule (3.1.1) which list 29 CFR 1910.1200(f) (9) states

"the labels applied by the gas supplier to identify the conatiner(sp) contents shall not be defaced or removed by the user until the cylinder is empty with the provisions of 29 CFR 1910.1200(f)(9)

As a couple of people have already posted. This is pertaining to the contents label. Simply stating it should not be removed until the tank has been used, has nothing to do with the bumper sticker.

I would like to know why that guy thinks that by simply putting a sticker on a tank that it is all of a sudden safe to put nitrox in it. The sad thing is that if you had one of those stickers on an non-O2 clean tank the guy probably would have put nitrox in it.

My tanks are labeled Scotch, Soda, Rum and Coke in big letters with the actual contents on a small label near the valve.

That and the fact that I probably have the only sets of triples on the boat keeps the idiots from using my tanks.:D

First, the OP should have just bought the sticker and put it at his car. Then bring the tanks back in and ask the guy to fill them.

Second, no stickers on any of my tanks. Only a contents label (duct tape) behind the valve with info on what the current fill is. Once the tanks are used I pull off the contents label.

Third, OX-TOX is the least of worries for anybody touching any part of my kit without asking (if I don't know them). The bigger fear should be them dying from a completely explainable lack of O2 by having my hands mounted firmly around their necks.

Here is an idea. Get the bumper sticker, slap it on some Saran Wrap. Than slap that on to your tank when you need it... :)

I've seen the smallest, skinniest, little person with my tank, their weight belt, BC fully inflated, struggling to stay on the surface, with MY tank. When I get myself under control, and question their choice of tank, I get the same answer: "What?, this is a rental, isn't it?"

That brings back many happy memories of the skinny bottom darts Zieg. :rofl3: I was proud of you though, as you generally let them live even if they did screw up your second dive.

Nothing will protect an idiot intent on being an idiot. The amount of willful ignorance out there still astounds me.

FT

Back
Top Bottom