I don't know how babies do it...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This settles it, I'm going to buy my baby a tiny drysuit and a miniature full face mask and it can probably do just fine with some doubled spare air's. My kid is going diving from day 1! If I gotta buy the diaper anyways, might as well use themproductively, right?

That said, I felt bad bad for the OP so I googled "women help pee diapers" but I don't think anything I found would be much help. Sorry. :(

Yes, annasea, I've been diving dry for two years and have never needed a diaper yet. A handful of salty nuts or potato chips will do it. It's just that cave class, we're going to be in the water for three hours or more at a time, and I know I can't do THAT.

I'm surprised this didn't click already, but the OP said "first ever drysuit dives". I have been diving dry for almost 15 years and never worn a diaper or a cath. The phenomenon that wetsuit divers experience where you pee during every dive (sometimes multiple times)is called immersion diuresis, and is a function of the skin being cold and wet simply does not occur when diving dry. Do a pre-dive bladder check, and if you are normally able to go over an hour between bathroom breaks on land, you should be fine. Notice that TSandM said she will have to learn the diaper thing before cave class, she has been diving dry and (I can only assume) diaperless, for quite some time.

stevead:
Do a pre-dive bladder check, and if you are normally able to go over an hour between bathroom breaks on land, you should be fine.
But what about if it's very hot outside and you drink a lot to stay well-hydrated, as one should when they are diving?

I'm new, never wore a dry suit and am confused. Why would you need to wear a diaper?

Because she may be in the water far longer than she can hold it:wink:

I use diapers and have no problem. Now
:D
First I bought the diaper. Put it on at home. Then drunk a lot of beer. so I waited for the moment to come (and with beer it's quickly). So when I really needed to pee I want to bathroom.
Kneed in bath (just in case the diaper would not hold it :D) and did it. For me it worked to get over the psychological problem I think we all have with diapers.
The diaper worked really well.

So then I decided to use them. and they do work but you have to have the right size. To small are uncomfortable on the surface (you can't pull them as you do with panties), too big will not absorb everything they have to.
So sizing is a crucial thing. And then be careful when puting them on. Depends on the diaper type (whether you have to seal them - like the ones for babies, or the are already made as panties). If you have to seal them - do it carefuly.

If you have to pee in a diaper - after the dive use some talk - as it's done with babies. I always carry talk anyway - for the drysuit seals.

Mania

Drysuits keep the water out, and your water in :) If you pee in a wetsuit, no one notices, becuase you are surrounded by water to begin with. If you pee in a drysuit and don't have either a peevalve or a diaper on, everyone will notice that you are wet when you should be dry. And women cannot use a peevalve, the usual way to hook up to them with an external condom catheter. Women aren't equipped for external catheters :) They do exist, but I think most women would prefer the diaper.

Mania:
Over here, most people would spell it "talc." Not a problem, but some people might be confused about what exactly you should talk about after peeing in a diaper on a drysuit dive :wink:

annasea:
How do you get past the psychological aspect of using a diaper? Any hints or once one is desperate enough nature will take its course? :wink:

You could always just put two-scoops of Kitty-Litter in each of your drysuit legs after you get your feet in place in the boots?

problem solved? :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom