I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry! I have just got back to Alpharetta...do you know of anyone in this area?

Thanks,

MIke

Hello everyone, I'm here asking for some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Capt Gumby left a post on here looking for some divers to dive with him. He has not been able to hook up with anyone as of yet. My cell phone number is 941-628-3309. He tried to book charters but they are all booked for this week. I work during the week. Capt Gumby is in the service and would like to find some teeth before he LEAVES FLORIDA. He will not be returning to the area. Please some of you I know dive on weekdays, lets get this guy in the water, we dont want him diving alone. I spoke to him several times today to try to do a dive but my work schedule seems to be messing things up. You can pm him or call me on my cell and I will give you his cell phone number. Lets all pull together and get him out there to find some teeth before he leaves. You can call me on my cell phone from 6am to 10 pm at night. Lets show him what a great bunch of people we are. All help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, fossil ones anyway! This one looks like a whale rib fragment? It is 5 inches long and 1 1/2 wide. In the second picture I have done a closeup of what looks like tooth scoring on the bone surface.

Attachments

• fossil3_800.jpg
    fossil3_800.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 203
Here is the closeup.

Attachments

• fossil4.jpg
    fossil4.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 187
This one looks like either a tusk end or a partial tooth of some kind.

Attachments

• fossil5.jpg
    fossil5.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 87
  • fossil6_1024.jpg
    fossil6_1024.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 92
Just really out there in left field question. Back when I wa a Radiochemist in civilian nuclear plants I was brought a sharks tooth for analysis. It seems the fellow who was wearing it set off the monitors and when they frisked him with the manual detector his sharks tooth set it off. I placed the tooth in our gamma spectrometer and got the nicest Radium spectrum you could ask for. Since it was "natural" we gave it back to him and told him not to wear it at the plant again.

So...has anyone else seen this? has anyone else tested their fossils with a geiger counter? I assume that since Radium is in the same chemical family as Calcium it just naturally exchanged with the calcium in the tooth when it fossilized, maybe even acting as a Radium concentrator! Anyway...just thought I would ask!

Michael your fossil is a manatee rib bone. The other pictures are possible the same thing just well worn. Looks like the tip of a manatee rib as well.

I didn't think they were that big! I guess a 1200 pound critter needs big bones! How about the tooth marks?

The large fossil (not the Manatee rib) may be part of the lower jaw of a Mastodon according to a paleantologist I contacted, I have sent him more shots so he can try to make a final determnination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom