I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The three flat pieces are teeth, I believe (possibly incisors?) they have striations along the long axis ending in rounded 'nubs'. Any ideas?

The large piece is a proximal femur from a mammoth I believe - very heavy and about the size of 2/3 bowling ball

Attachments

• IMG_2316.jpg
    IMG_2316.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 129
In the teeth pic:
Any instruction on categorizing these would be much appreciated (how to tell the difference between horse, camel, bison, and deer teeth-were prehistoric deer part of the fauna?)

In the leg bone pic:
I think the two large fragments left center and the one in the center are likely distal tibia (or whatever the analog is) because they look to be contoured for the tarsus. The upper right is more delicate (deer possibly?)

I have no idea on the two at top center.

Lower right has 3-4 indents that go deep into the bone (possibly tendon attachment points?).

The two on the right appear to be femoral balls

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2297.jpg
    IMG_2297.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I think...you experts can probably help! Alhambra, from the North end of the condos out about 100 yards.

Attachments

• fossil_1_800.jpg
    fossil_1_800.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 224
End shot same fossil...my SWAG is that is is a partial root end of a mammoth tusk from looking at the layering, the bone segments wrapping around one end and the grain.

Attachments

• fossil_2_800.jpg
    fossil_2_800.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Michael, I'm sorry I cant tell from the pictures. If your in my area I would be more than happy to id it for you. You can drop me a pm and we can meet some where. Happy hunting and be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom