I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

could be tusk?

_DSC0200.jpg_DSC0199.jpg

At first thought it was dugong, but given hole in middle and layering image, don't think so. Rare to find tree (because of rings thought it could be) in boneyard. Coloring is shaded... Thoughts on what it could be? No marrow pot-holes. Thinking tusk (mammoth?) but would like second (or third view)... thank you in advance....

---------- Post Merged at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:57 PM ----------

_DSC0202.jpgOk, I know it is a vert (about 9 inches across)... but any ideas on what type... EVERYONE says whale when they see something big, but based on structure, cannot match it to any whale types. Mast? Mammoth? other thoughts? Again, thank you in advance. By the way, was referring to one on Right Side... any ideas on left side? Not much detail, but ???

Hi there. Picked these up from a couple shore dives over the weekend. (Venice Beach and North Sharky's)
From what I've seen on this forum, my guess on the black one is a rib bone of some sort.
The grey one appears to be a fossilized dog turd. I'll let the experts decide.

IMG_0163.jpgIMG_0164.jpgIMG_0166.jpg

someone aske
184736_452025918184225_1395489448_n.jpg
d for some help ID'ing this.... any thoughts? Found in Peace River area I think....

20130126_210750.jpg20130126_211044.jpg
Whale tooth... Hollow at the base correct? If so definitely a whale tooth.
Above are 2 pics of a similar tooth I got from the Peace River...

Last edited:
ID help needed! From 2 different locations 1-4 Venice Florida, and 5-10 was in the Edisto River South Carolina.

Thanks!

Venice, FL (1-4)
1)
daa5.jpg

cr98.jpg

2)
dpn6.jpg

w4yd.jpg

3)
a1xp.jpg

yuzc.jpg

4)
j4g.JPG

Edisto River, SC (5-10)
5)
nzr2.jpg

t041.jpg

6)
eppq.jpg

7)
vegy.jpg

8)
ut38.jpg

qcgf.jpg

9)
9p7a.jpg

mptp.jpg

10)
ozbt.jpg

8a3c.jpg

khqm.jpg

1 drum fish mouth plate w/ teeth
2 Whale Tooth frag
3 Turtle shell fragment
4 Pufferfish mouth plate
5 Dolphin or small whale Vert. Definitely mammal
6 Ray Mouth Plate
7 Small Shark Vert
8 Bone frag ? hard to tell..
9 Deer Antler Tine..
10 Looks like a large dolphin tooth but could be Gator or Croc.
Hope This helps.. I like that the Edisto River finds have that soft chocolate brown color. You can tell they weren't from the Venice Boneyard.. Great Finds, and Good Luck out there!

2: Whale tooth (worn down)?
3: Turtle shell (frontal?)
4: Puffer fish palate
5: Vert... characteristic of whale, but small.. dolphin is possible or one of the 1000 of whales that existed some time ago.
6:wink: Crushers (attached in rows) of stingray palate
7.) Vert... Have similar and some have said shark vert, but considering how rare they are, I don't know... I have a number of them... would just say "fish vert"
8.) Jaw bone? not sure what of... will have another drink and think about it. :)
9.) hmm... Lack of bone marrow suggests Dugong part (don't go there ! ) :wink:

10.) Gator?
1.) my brain after trying to figure life out?

1 drum fish mouth plate w/ teeth
2 Whale Tooth frag
3 Turtle shell fragment
4 Pufferfish mouth plate
5 Dolphin or small whale Vert. Definitely mammal
6 Ray Mouth Plate
7 Small Shark Vert
8 Bone frag ? hard to tell..
9 Deer Antler Tine..
10 Looks like a large dolphin tooth but could be Gator or Croc.
Hope This helps.. I like that the Edisto River finds have that soft chocolate brown color. You can tell they weren't from the Venice Boneyard.. Great Finds, and Good Luck out there!

2: Whale tooth (worn down)?
3: Turtle shell (frontal?)
4: Puffer fish palate
5: Vert... characteristic of whale, but small.. dolphin is possible or one of the 1000 of whales that existed some time ago.
6:wink: Crushers (attached in rows) of stingray palate
7.) Vert... Have similar and some have said shark vert, but considering how rare they are, I don't know... I have a number of them... would just say "fish vert"
8.) Jaw bone? not sure what of... will have another drink and think about it. :)
9.) hmm... Lack of bone marrow suggests Dugong part (don't go there ! ) :wink:

10.) Gator?
1.) my brain after trying to figure life out?

Thanks Rickelpickel ill have to make some Id tags and add them to the collection. And Dive4lifeSW...hope you didnt get drunk trying to ID haha! :laughing:

Very nice info. I think I have a piece of number one pic that I found here in Venice last year.

Hi guys, great thread! Helped me ID several finds.

I looked through practically every image on every page of history on this thread to ID this fossil that was found at Manasota Beach, but I have not seen anything like it.

My Dad thought it was a meg fragment (he wants to see what he wants to see), but I disagree. Ultra stumped on this.

unknownfossil.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom