I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are the ones I cant ID from my last venice dive.

Fossil #1
p7110189.jpg

p7110188.jpg
p7110187x.jpg

Fossil #2 - The one end has 2 indentations going up and down

p7110194.jpg

p7110193.jpg

p7110192.jpg

Fossil #3

p7110197.jpg

p7110196.jpg

p7110195.jpg

Fossil #4

p7110200.jpg

p7110199.jpg

p7110201.jpg

What is this? I thought maybe a cat claw, but it looks calcified. I found it on the beach in Fort Myers Beach, Florida. It apparently washed up during high tide.

claw.jpg

Kauai: looks like a crab claw that got tossed around in the surf for a time (they get worn down). Is it hollow all the way down the shaft? If so, probably a crab claw. But, I could be wrong.

I thought this was a shell, but I can' find any that look like it. Is it some kind of fossil, maybe? (on the left)

DSC_0811.jpg

Obviously this is some kind of scallop shell, but is this actually a fossil? It's more like a rock and not an actual shell.

shell fossil.jpg

And also, I know this isn't a fossil, but I'd really like to know what kind of shell it is and nobody has been able to figure it out. I've looked at tons of websites and posted on several forums, and nothing. So, that said, can anyone possibly identify this shell? Or at least give me some direction to go in? This was found in Fort Myers Beach, Florida, but I wonder if maybe it washed in from somewhere else? It's not on any of the Sanibel/Fort Myers/Captiva shell ID websites I've looked at.

shell collage.jpg

Hey Kauai,

Is your shell a kitten's paw? I haven't seen the dark markings before but otherwise it looks similar.

Someone else had suggested that, too, at one point. I have a bunch of other shells that are kittens paws, and the general shape is sort of the same, but it sure doesn't look like the same shell. The kittens paws have big ridges all the way across the shell. This one is flat almost entirely on the top. The bottoms like the same, but the tops don't. It's definitely a weird shell. I haven't been able to find anything with the same design on top. But no, I don't think it's a kittens paw... maybe a related one, but I don't think it's the same.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom