I.D.E.A.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phislet

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I recently completed our diving class (all but the open water portion which we have to wait till the temperature warms up here in Michigan). For a number of reasons we are uncomfortable with the dive shop through which we took the class. Primarily because the instructor seemed more concerned about selling gear than effectively training.

Meanwhile, we have done tons of research on gear and have determined what gear we think we would like to purchase. Several dive shops have given us quotes but I am most impressed with two different shops (both their sales staff and dive instructors). Both offered to let us complete the open water portion of our certification with them at no charge if we purchased our equipment with them. The question is there was a $400 difference between the two shops for the same gear. The less expensive shop offers I.D.E.A certification and the more expensive shop offers PADI.

So the question is.... should I pay the extra $400 to go with the shop offering PADI or go with the dive shop charging less that offers I.D.E.A.

I have read on this site and diverlink etc. about the differences in certification agencies. Seems like the most talked about agencies are PADA, NAUI and YMCA. Maybe SSI is a close fourth. Will I run into trouble with the I.D.E.A certification?

We want to be able to travel without trouble.

Thanks for your help

Hi phislet,

You should not have a problem with recogniton of I.D.E.A. certification except perhaps for some very remote & obscure locations.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

There's a great shop in Farmington called Sea the World. Very professional, PADI center. Don't get me wrong, they like to sell product, but they've got some very good instructors there. Like all the other discussions on this board and others, it's the instructor, not the shop that makes the difference.

Thanks for the info so far. I certainly agree that the instructors make a lot of difference. In my particular case I am impressed with the instructors at both dive shops. It's just that the package deal is $400 less at the dive shop offering I.D.E.A certification. Will I.D.E.A. be as recognizable as PADI certification? If not I am willing to pay the extra.

thanks

IDEA should be just as recognised as PADI.

The price difference between the two...... is it EXACTLY the same gear? or is some of it last years model that they are trying to get rid of?

Also, this difference of $400, is it between a relatively small ammount (for diving gear) eg $800 and $400, or is it between much larger ammounts eg $1800 and $2200? What kit are you buying?

Difficult to say what is better, especially as you are getting the checkout dives thrown in with the equipment. If you give us some more info, as to what it is you are exactly getting it would be helpful.

Jon T

Good call. Thanks.

We are looking at two nearly identical packages. One for myself and one for my wife.

Package for me:
Seaquest Pro QD BCD
Apeks TX50 primary
Aqualung octo
Seaquest 6.5.4 suit
Suunto Vyper console (with compass/pressure)
PC download

Package for my wife:
Seaquest Diva QD
Apeks TX50 primary
Aqualung octo
Seaquest 6.5.4 suit
Suunto Vyper console (with compass/pressure)

We already have our mask, snorkel, fins, boots etc.

The packages are identicle at both shops and all the components would need to be ordered in by both dive shops.

Both packages at I.D.E.A shop = $3347 including tax
Both packages at PADI shop= $3700 including tax
And just to clarify, that includes the open water class at both shops.

Thanks for your help

Despite whatever other people say, one think to try and avoid is mixing regulator brands. All manufacturers design their second stages for different interstage pressures.

Basically, the first stage reduces the tank pressure, so that the pressure in the hose (interstage pressure) is ambient + a bit. Usually this is between ambient + 6bar to Ambient + 15 Bar.

Your Apex TX50 will work fine, as I assume it is on the Apeks DST 1st stage. The Aqualung won't work as well as it could, as it isn't on the first stage that it is designed for. Having said that, it should work though.

At this point, the only difference in the price is the course, and it will pay to ask questions as to what is included with the course. If you get all the materials with both, then as you say your happy with the instructors go with the cheeper one.

Jon T

Hi Phislet,

Used to live in Michigan myself (pre-diving days).

I agree with turnerjd's comments about mixing brands for first/second stages and octos. Better to stick with the same brand if possible.

Your choices are almost the same as my incomplete current set-up. I own a Sea-Quest Pro QD -- fits well and I like the features. I do not yet own my own reg, but I have been hearing many good things about the Apeks regs, especially for colder water diving. I plan to rent the TX100 when the weather warms up here in New England to see how they compare to other brands I've tried. From what I've heard, you will not go wrong with these regs.

For computers -- I am considering the Suunto Cobra and Vyper -- both very good choices.

Good luck.

Hi Phislet,
Just ask what the intermediate pressures are. If they're close (20psi or so) there shouldn't be a problem. A second stage really can't tell what brand of 1st stage is suppling it's IP. You may have a problem when it comes to "authorized" service getting both done at the same time.

I talked to the dive shops and after the discussion I think I will go with the Apeks octos as well.

What about the I.D.E.A vs PADI though?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom