Question I can't get a Dry suit help for cold weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's 7mm suits, and 7mm farmer johns. Difference is a single layer all over vice a double layer over mid-thigh and torso. 1 hour dives in Lake Superior I accepted that my fore-arms and lower legs would essentially go numb, something I learned to accept riding snowmobile. Manual dexterity and helicopter turns become wistful memories, but at least the core stays warm. I've since bit the bullet and gone dry.
And then there are also modern semi dry suits that don't require 14mm of neoprene that limits your mobility. The farmer john was great when it came out. Neoprene was stiff and it was the only way to get into a 7mm. These days, materials have come a long way. If you are buying a new suit, don't even look at a farmer john style.

Everyone's different, and they can change. It used to be (at 136 kg) I could do 6 or 7 40 minute dives a weekend in just a 7mm no problem and do my last dive in a 3mm for 40 minutes (but I had to have an active safety stop).

Now that I'm about 90 kg, in Mexican cenotes, I can't stay still for more than about 15 minutes or I start shivering. And that's with a hood.

I'm not a fan of the drysuit, but it's the only way to go if you're cold. What's normal for someone else, or for most everyone else, doesn't mean it's normal for you.

I'm in Malta and on my last dive on the 2/1/23 I got really cold. As I got only 15 dives logged i don't think a dry suit would be a solution for me as yet, so I was considering an undergarment for my hooded two pieces wetsuit.
Anyone tried this? Or have any suggestions?View attachment 763265
Sharkskin Titanium 2. Love them under my 5mm wetsuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom