Question I can't get a Dry suit help for cold weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in Malta and on my last dive on the 2/1/23 I got really cold. As I got only 15 dives logged i don't think a dry suit would be a solution for me as yet, so I was considering an undergarment for my hooded two pieces wetsuit.
Anyone tried this? Or have any suggestions?
HcLLrMZhSTdI4nFAqQs0ZvVminEETTQ5lVF7hJqc.jpg

That's not a wetsuit undersuit.

There are several thing you can do. Double 7 spearfishing suit, or get somethig like a rashguard/fireskin/sharkskin wetsuit underlayer.

And the best thing. A thermos with warm water, and you pour it when you put your suit on.

Thicket hood and better gloves. And socks+5/7mm booties.

Drysuit undies aren’t usually made to go under wetsuits. Something like lavacore or sharkskin is a better option. Recommend thin neoprene socks under your boots if you’re not already using them.

What dry suit do you have at the moment?

Personally I have tried a couple of different solutions under my wet suit but nothing really made much of a difference , the best I found was a neoprene , 1.5mm , rash guard. But honestly it doesn't much a huge difference.

Since you're diving Malta I don't imagine that the water gets much below 15° so normally a good 7mm should be fine, at least for a 50min dive.

there are no 'undersuits' for wetsuit diving other than another wetsuit really.

what thickness is your current 2 piece?

there are no 'undersuits' for wetsuit diving other than another wetsuit really.

what thickness is your current 2 piece?

There are neutrally buoyant skins. That are meant to use under a wetsuit.

I have a fireskin fleece and nylon west that's made to go under the wetsuit.
And really helps with the core warmth. And the water influx

What are your average water temps? Fresh or salt? If money is not the big issue then I would just go ahead with drysuit training since you'll end up there anyway. If money and time is an issue then I would go with a vest or shortie top over your existing suit, hood, gloves and boots.

I recently returned from French Poly and a woman on my boat had a heated vest and it looked like an easy to operate system. Water temps were right at 79 to 80F. I dove a rashy top & swimsuit and was fine. Everyone is different and everyone should be comfortable. Don't forget to adjust weight if you add buoyancy.

There are neutrally buoyant skins. That are meant to use under a wetsuit.

I have a fireskin fleece and nylon west that's made to go under the wetsuit.
And really helps with the core warmth. And the water influx
Wetsuits are not meant to be wet inside. skins don't add temperature rating they just make the wetsuit easier to remove.

What are your average water temps? Fresh or salt? If money is not the big issue then I would just go ahead with drysuit training since you'll end up there anyway. If money and time is an issue then I would go with a vest or shortie top over your existing suit, hood, gloves and boots.

I recently returned from French Poly and a woman on my boat had a heated vest and it looked like an easy to operate system. Water temps were right at 79 to 80F. I dove a rashy top & swimsuit and was fine. Everyone is different and everyone should be comfortable. Don't forget to adjust weight if you add buoyancy.
It was 19c but maybe was me that day because usually I manage well if I keep swimming

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom