I bought another mask - cleaning issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the best thing we've found at the dive shop I work at to initialy clean the mask is soft scrub, apply 2 to 3 times inside and out on the lense, that should take care of it.

One other comment...make sure you clean the mask skirt too. Especially if you are in a warm climate. The extra silicone (or whatever it is) coating can bleed down from the skirt on the lenses if the mask gets hot. Especially if the dive bag is in the trunk of a car....know this from experience!

I tried shampoo to defog. The trouble was, if not rinsed good enough, the suds. I use 500 psi to defog and toothpast (whatever is handy) to clean.

When you first buy your mask it is a very good idea to scrub it with regular toothpaste (not the gel stuff) this will actually help stop it from fogging so easily. oh and you heard right baby shampoo is a great mask defogger and cheap too!

Chillywill:cold:

'I'm Chilly Will the Diver. I shake until I'm blue.
My head is hot and my feet are cold. Ah Eee Achoo!
Now what about the divers along the Cozumel Isle?
I'll bet they're always warm as toast. They always seem to smile.
I'm always Chilly Will. I'm frozen through and through.
My nose is red and my toes are cold. Ah Eee Achoo!'

50 cent spray bottle in the travel section of Wal-Mart, 50/50 mix of J&J Baby Shampoo and water. Carry in BC pocket, two sprays each lense, wipe around with fingers, rinse. VERY INEXPENSIVE and the best defogger I've found.

Problably a good idea to keep it out of the sun as much as possible. I beleive the sun will deteriorate silicon. it discolors it alot and im sure its not good for it, correct me if i am wrong.

TMD

I was just kind of lurking on this thread until I read the part about the J&J shampoo/water mix for anti-fog... excellent suggestion, will do that tonight.

That's the kind of thing I love about this board... USEFUL tips from people who know what they're talking about...

I use orange scented kids no-tears shampoo. Works great. I put some full strength in a empty and cleaned Visine eye drop bottle. Put a drop on my finger, rub it around, let it dry until I head for the water and rinse. It takes a very small amount. It works better than the 500 PSI and is easier to apply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom