I-beams at Alki question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
I have my assistant carry the back up for me. BTW... are you going to post those shots you took today. :D
Fat Chance :D

OE2X:
Actually you need to get two. You never know when you'll need a backup? :D
Doh!

Hey UP that is a great shot, especially with the vis that day. Don't laugh but I do keep a back up camera. My Olympus is still primary but it's so slow it may become backup soon. I have yet to test the S5i's marine features and super macro.

Hi Guys,
I've just started expoloring Alki and was wondering if you could tell me where I could find these I-beams?

Thanks

Sure... no problem:
From the white can buoy take a bearing on the Space Needle. Swim towards it about 75 yards and descend. If there is a current you might not land on them. If there isn't a current you might not land on them either. So once you get to the bottom start swimming in ever larger circles but no deeper than 100' and no shallower than 90'.

Or...

Descend at the white can buoy and follow the large rope on the same bearing you took at the surface toward the Space Needle for about 75 yards and you will run into them.

Uncle Pug:
Sure... no problem:
From the white can buoy take a bearing on the Space Needle. Swim towards it about 75 yards and descend. If there is a current you might not land on them. If there isn't a current you might not land on them either. So once you get to the bottom start swimming in ever larger circles but no deeper than 100' and no shallower than 90'.

Or...

Descend at the white can buoy and follow the large rope on the same bearing you took at the surface toward the Space Needle for about 75 yards and you will run into them.

But keep in mind that the large rope starts out as a small rope ... we were about 30 feet short when we put it down, and so we made up the difference with a rope we found already down there. From the mooring of the white buoy, follow the rope that goes down the slope (approximate heading 20 degrees) ... the one that goes cross cove (approximate heading 120 degrees) will take you to the Honey Bear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Speaking of the I-beams... did I ever tell you about our first *trip* to the I-beams? :D

An un-named here but well know area diver invited Shane and I to come down and dive Alki with him. We'd never been there before and even though we were not into shore diving we figured it was the sociable thing to do since he had been nice enough to come up and go boat diving with us.

After ending up on top of the hill in West Seattle we finally found our way back down to what I now know as Cove 2. We parked out on the street... because our guide was parked there... not knowing about the parking lot.

Shane and I geared up and waited a couple of hours while our guide fiddlefarted around. When he had finally gotten himself together he began to give us the dive briefing and explained in great detail about the I-beams and what we could expect to see there.

We positioned ourselves on either side of him and followed him to where he thought the I-beams should be. Shane and I hovered there at 110' about 10' above the mud and just watched our guide swim in circles around us. This went on for quite some time. The circle didn't grow or shrink and the I-beams didn't materialize either.

After a half-hour mud dive we returned to our vehicles, thanked our guide and decided Alki really didn't have that much to offer.

Years later we found out different.

24.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom