I-beams at Alki question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30 yds, 75 yds (maybe feet), and an increasing circle pattern search in 90' ... sounds like I better bring twin 100's.

Thanks anyway but it sounds like no one has bearings or line-ups. I guess I'll just have to follow the trail, find the middle, shoot a marker, surface and take my own bearings.

JDR:
Definitely 75 yards plus. My old rule of thumb was to take a compass reading towards the city center, drop down at the white buoy and I would hit the I-beams at around 77 kicks. Next time you are down there watch the surface bubbles of divers on the I-beams, it's surprising how far out they are.

Remember when we put in the rope trail? Heading from the top of the I-beams to the white buoy was 200 degrees. Reverse it ... from the white buoy to the top of the I-beams would be 20 degrees. Distance would be about 250-300 feet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

puckvirus:
However I caution you to not do this, not knowing your skill level. Dive within your limits and if need be, spend that extra few minutes and drop at the white bouy and follow the line.

FWIW - Dave is a VERY skilled diver ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Bob, welcome Back! We gott'a talk - I'm taking Bobbie and a midwest couple to Bonaire in March.

PS thanks for the bearing and distance. I'll give it a try and take bearings before I submerge.

Someone wanted to know why - Pug's pictures of Wendy! I don't have doubles and I want as much bottom time ON SITE as possible so that I can find Wendy and see if I can get some photos.

Dave... Wendy will either be in the large rock pile near the I-beams or under the I-beam on the right facing out.

She will find you if you have a light but watch your fingers. :D Last night we took Shane to see her for the first time and wearing orange(!) drygloves he started rubbing his fingers together to attract her not knowing that we've been hand feeding her scallops. :D

David - If you are diving 32% and a reasonable size tank you should be able to get plenty of bottom time to hang out with Wendy. We typically will spend about 5 minutes with her. If you descend down from the can even at a conservative descent rate you should find her within 5 minutes.

Only if I can take pictures too. Guess what arrived!

If he got a new SLR and housing, then yea, I gotta agree with the shutter lag envy. I have the oly 5050 and when shooting SHQ or RAW my lag time REALLY SUCKS! At depth when the infared has to aquire the subject it seems to double the lag time. Holding a macro shot in position and maintaining distance and angle WITHOUT touching anything (just finning - even backfinning) is a real challange. Add to that breathing and the up and down motion that produces and (don't tell my wife) but I'm also hoping for a flooding.

Back
Top Bottom