I-beams at Alki question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holding a macro shot in position and maintaining distance and angle WITHOUT touching anything (just finning - even backfinning) is a real challange. Add to that breathing and the up and down motion that produces
Add to that poor vision and a lost magnifier and I'm lucky to get any shots at all...
I-Beam Warbonnet from the last dive... even though we were diving in whale broth:
War_Bonnet.JPG

That is a BEAUTIFUL picture, UP! I really need to get a camera, too. I've got too many gear-intensive hobbies, man.

Uncle Pug:
Add to that poor vision and a lost magnifier and I'm lucky to get any shots at all...
I-Beam Warbonnet from the last dive... even though we were diving in whale broth:
War_Bonnet.JPG

VERY NICE (UP)! Being color blind (and diving in dark soup) I would have NEVER spotted him (especially against that background) unless he moved.

Have you tried taking pictures head down / fins up? Lately I've been trying that and finding that I get much less silt. The closest thing to the bottom ends up being the strobe arms or my head. I find that I'm much more awair of how close those two are. Shooting digital it's so easy to rotate the photos no one ever knows the difference from the photo.

I found that even though I was not touching anything, my motion and the current from finning didn't stur up much but still in all i wanted to minimize Back Scatter. The only problem that I have with this technique is that it does not work if there's much of a current. Being vertical I'd need side thrusters :)

Kalvin, as you know, the only time I dive without my camera is when I'm trying out new equipment. From time to time I do find all that camera equip. to be a PITA but it has re-ignited my love for diving. Bobbie hates it when I bring it diving with her. She says I'm too slow! I say I'm "composing". (potatoes potatos)

DavidG:
VERY NICE (UP)!
Thanks Dave.... I didn't spot him... Bob did and pointed him out to me... and about 5 others along the way. :D We had already done a first dive covering the same route and I hadn't seen one of them!

As for upside down... I do that sometimes just for the view... that and supine. But for pictures I usually just hover prone as I can helicopter and reverse much better that way and usually don't kick up much dust unless I'm trying to crawl under a log or the Honey Bear. :D

I don't compose... I just hold my camera out at arms length and snap pictures... then clip it off again to my shoulder d-ring.

kalvyn:
That is a BEAUTIFUL picture, UP! I really need to get a camera, too. I've got too many gear-intensive hobbies, man.
Actually you need to get two. You never know when you'll need a backup? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom