I-beams at Alki question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidG

Contributor
Reaction score
I know there are rope trails but if I wanted to surface swim out and drop -ON- the I beams, does anyone have two landmarks and their bearings so that I can position myself over them?

Sorry I don't. I normally just drop at the can in about 55' and then swim downhill from there.

I'll venture a guess that if you go from the can SE maybe 100' horizontally that should put you around the I-beams.

Why do you want to know?

From the white can buoy take a bearing on the Space Needle. Swim towards it about 75 yards and descend. If there is a current you might not land on them. If there isn't a current you might not land on them either. :D So once you get to the bottom start swimming in ever larger circles but no deeper than 100' and no shallower than 90'.

You should get there about 10 minutes after OE2X and I do. :D

You think it's as much as 75 yards from the can?

Definitely 75 yards plus. My old rule of thumb was to take a compass reading towards the city center, drop down at the white buoy and I would hit the I-beams at around 77 kicks. Next time you are down there watch the surface bubbles of divers on the I-beams, it's surprising how far out they are.

Uncle Pug:
yards... feet... what's the difference. :D
On the surface it's feet.
Underwater it's yards. :thumb:

BTW.... if you surface swim and drop on the I-beams... be sure to do it when the ferry isn't on the way in... they are right under its flight path. :D

I've been using the white bouy as a mark and put it between me and the beach (alki side) I line it uP between the two light poles that are on the land and swim out a ways say 30 yards and drop right on them. Because Pug is correct and the swim is quite far out there I normally dont drop right on them, but I tend to drop half way on the trail to them. Again Pug is right and I think you'll miss them if you try to do that.

However I caution you to not do this, not knowing your skill level. Dive within your limits and if need be, spend that extra few minutes and drop at the white bouy and follow the line.

Back
Top Bottom