I am one confused individual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are yo more or less confused? I would guess that it will be MORE.

I am not a Tech diver, altough I would like to become one some day.

My first BC is a Beuchat master lift tek, back inflated unit.

I find that the Back inflation gets you in a better position UW and also very easy to swin with (yes) on your back. I would go with back inflation. I also have a lot of lift, which might come habdy some day.

Before deciding to go with a harness + air cell configuration, take a look at some of the of-the-shelf units. Some are pretty neat. I would recomend to also look at Rodale's web site, for a very extensive test of back inflated BC's, performed this year (2002).

You should also try on and preferably dive with, prior to making a purchase decision.

Good luck and tell us how it went.

Ari :)

I am a lot less confused, it all makes sense to me now that i think about it. with a vest partially inflated it is like a baloon going through the water, lots of drag, with a wing it is more like a hotdog, less drag....I hope that i am seeing this right. but what about the wings lifts capacity? how do i know which one to get? 18,27,36,45lbs i was just going to get the biggest one since i seems to make sense to me to get the biggest one now, thento get the smaller one then need a bigger one then having to buy a whole new wing....someone please school me on this...

thanks
netboy

Originally posted by netboy79
I hope that i am seeing this right. but what about the wings lifts capacity? how do i know which one to get? 18,27,36,45lbs
Netboy, see: http://www.scubaboard.com/t9079/s.html

Roak

I am a lot less confused, it all makes sense to me now that i think about it. with a vest partially inflated it is like a baloon going through the water, lots of drag, with a wing it is more like a hotdog, less drag....I hope that i am seeing this right. but what about the wings lifts capacity? how do i know which one to get? 18,27,36,45lbs i was just going to get the biggest one since i seems to make sense to me to get the biggest one now, thento get the smaller one then need a bigger one then having to buy a whole new wing....someone please school me on this...

thanks
netboy
I'll try one more time...
The "vast differences" in drag etc are more due to all the junk folks hang out into the slipstream than the basic type BC you use. My tropical fun-diving rig (which happens to be a jacket) for example, has less drag than a BP/Wing, but very little lift capacity, while a BP/Wing has less drag than a Pro-QD jacket of equal lift. I am not trying to steer you in one direction or the other, but I am trying to help you avoid wasting a lot of money. Before you buy, get in the pool with jackets, back inflation, BP/Wings and swim around a bit. Wear the kind of exposure suit you'll be diving most of the time. Then buy the BC that works best for you.
Do not succumb to hype - get in the water and pay attention to what works best for you doing the things you want to do in the water.
Base you decision on your own observations.
Rick :)

how do i know which one to get? 18,27,36,45lbs
It depends upon whether you plan to integrate you weight with the bp/harness...

If so then you need the size wing that will float the whole rig, weights; full tank; plate ect...

If not then you still need the wing to float the rig minus the weight of the belt...

This is only for supporting the rig on the surface...

I use a drysuit and use a weight belt...
A 27# wing takes care of my steel 104, plate and canister light...

Netboy:
My 13-year-old son and I just got certified, so this opinion is clearly from a newbie with little comparison. FWIW:

I was rather uncomfortable with the standard jacket style BC in the pool sessions. A back-inflation style jacket was a bit better, but still tended to come up around my neck sometimes. Integrated weights were better than a belt, but still I felt uncomfortable with the setup. Reading this board about the backplate and wings, and being taken by the apparent logic of the DIR approach (I'm an engineer and like things to be logical), I ordered 27# Halcyon wings from EE and standard SST backplates from Fred Tagge. I also got his harness kits and 2-piece STA's for both of us (my son is at the top end of the height range for Fred's short plate pattern). We spent one evening filing and sanding the edges of the plates and STA brackets. We opted not to pay the extra $ for Fred to do it, but that probably would have been the wiser course. The as-cut edges were not burred, but they were perfectly square and almost sharp, so you need to do something to smooth them a bit. We used the www links we found here to see pictures and instructions for the harness webbing. We used a 2 3/8" bicycle inner tube to cut pieces that fit over the webbing to protect it from the slots in the plate, and also keep it from slipping (this idea -- from Fred -- works great, BTW). We adjusted everything in the living room with our wetsuits on, and got the fit just right.

We just got back from our OWC dives (plus more on our own) in Bonaire. Before going in the water with the new backplate rigs, I showed them to the instructor and he inspected everything and we discussed weighting. With a 3-mm full suit, I used 10 lbs and my son ended up with 6 lbs, using standard weight belts with slotted weights. We both found the weight belts were a bit tricky to don, as they tended to hang up on the bottom tail of the wing oval (not to mention on the D ring and knife pocket on the left waist belt). But it worked fine. Our instructor suggested we try the Halcyon integrated weight pockets, so I might do that for a dive or so and see how it works.

Here's my result-- I'm very happy with the feel of the bp/harness in the water. I honestly did "forget it was there", compared to my experience with the full jacket. I also found it was much easier to don because there are fewer choices of where to put your hands to get into it (I always found the jacket seemed to have several extra places to stick your second arm when donning, which were not the right place!). I also felt totally unencumbered in the water. I felt very neutral as far as attitude and could point up, level, or down with no effort. On the surface, the wings kept me up just fine, and very easy to float on my back compared to the standard jacket BC, but I found the top of the wing oval did touch the back of my head while swimming face down, preventing me from lifting my head very far out of the water to take a glance at things on the surface while snorkeling. (I would consider this a minor annoyance unless you're swimming more than 20 minutes or so). Not sure if I can prevent that by lowering the unit on my back or not. Also, one time I overtightened the waist belt, and while snorkeling had a confined feeling in my chest, but it went away when I loosened it a bit (duh!).

Out of the water, the rig was also quite comfortable, with little or no sway as we picked our way over the rocks exiting the water.

A fringe benefit was being able to disassemble the wings from the plates to pack both rigs really compactly into a single small hardside suitcase.

Personally, I'd like to thank the members of this board for providing info I otherwise would not have known from my LDS. Also thanks to Fred for making a top quality product at a reasonable price.

So please again take my experience FWIW, as I have little comparisons to make, but I thought since I'm also new to the backplate this might be useful info for you.

Regards,
Peter

Originally posted by pdomen
Netboy:
My 13-year-old son and I just got certified, so this opinion is clearly from a newbie with little comparison. FWIW:

Peter
Shoot Peter... that was good!!!
Gotta mark this spot so we can send the other newbies over to read this...

Yooper? Roaky? You read this??
Makes our job a lot easier don't it! :D

Wooooooooohooooooooooo!

Thanks for the post, it makes it all worth it!

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom