I am one confused individual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just switched to my BP/Wing setup after diving a jacket BC for 3 years. It has not come in, but I cannot wait. I am have the Halcyon 65# wing and about to order the FRED T heavy plate. I was in your position a while ago. I just logged on this board, and I thought I had all my gear good to go. I did not see any benift over my jacket BC. After hearing more and more, I went to my local dive shop to ask him. He said, from a salesman Point of View, I will sell the BC, but I use a BP/Wing. I tried one on in the shop to see the comfort level, and suprisingly it was not bad. So I borrowed a guy's setup to do a couple of shallow dives with.............I fell in love. Though it took a while to get used to his 7' hose, but I loved the system.

I guess what I am trying to say is: Just try everything before you buy. I wish I had.
ADAM

Originally posted by jeepster0000
I am have the Halcyon 65# wing and about to order the FRED T heavy plate.
ADAM
ADAM,
Are you diving doubles? You don't want to be diving a single with a doubles wing or vise versa.
The Explorer wings for doubles come in 55# and 70# now...
The Pioneer wings for singles come in 27#, 36# and 45# now...

So is the 65# an older used wing?

Netboy, take a look at the Masterlift Sport. Beuchat makes good quality single cell vests that hug the body but don't squeeze. Moreover, the "poodle", in contrast to the "tinkerbell", provides correct surface flotation(G). You may find the two pockets to be a great convenience. The inflator valve is stainless steel and the inflator itself is of a generous size and there are twin dump valves. Nice. Just FYI, you will need a crotch strap added but these are inexpensive and easy to add. Also, this type vest is best with single tank. However, today's single tanks are available in larger, compact high pressure models which can often serve where doubles were used in the past. Cuts down on drag, too. Good for travel, light and packs flat.

http://www.beuchatdiving.com/jackets1.htm

Pesky

I use a bp/wing exclusively and that is what I sell the most of. Of course some won't listen and go buy a jacket. Try it then you will believe us.

Originally posted by pescador775
Netboy, take a look at the Masterlift Sport... Just FYI, you will need a crotch strap added but these are inexpensive and easy to add. Also, this type vest is best with single tank.
Translation: The masterlift does not come in an acceptable configuration from the factory and you have to add stuff to it. It also won't grow with you.

Netboy, these are exactly the mistakes we're trying to help you avoid by steering you towards the BP and wing.

Roak

UP.....Yeah my 65# wing is for doubles.......I am getting a 27# later for singles.......when the budjet fits, but I got a great deal on the 65# wing. I talked to a guy who was getting the 55# instead and only used his wing on two dives, so I took the opportunity and got it from him.
ADAM

Originally posted by jeepster0000
so I took the opportunity and got it from him.
You won't be sorry... I have had the 55# and liked it...
Shane has a 55# now and likes it...
I have 70# and like it...

As far as extra drag... not an issue... he has to have his scooter set at 3 to keep up with me at 1.

Over the years I've acquired just about every basic style BC there is, from horsecollar to BP/Wings, a Transpac (softpack with wings), and several jackets.
Last weekend, for the open water qualification gulf dives I was supervising, I selected the Pro QD jacket from my collection as the best for the job.
I recommend you try several in the pool - floating on the surface, swimming on the surface and neutral underwater - horizontal, sideways, head down, head up, on your back. Then buy the right one for you - you'll know which one that is.
Rick :)

Newhampster,

The bolts and wingnuts are inset in a groove that runs the length of the backplate, and do not touch your back. That is almost identical to my setup, and it is very comfortable.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom