I am one confused individual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Newhampster
The picture looks like you wind up with wingnuts in your back. Not my idea of a cool way to dive.
The wingnuts don't even come close to your back. As I previously stated, the only problem with a BP is that it looks uncomfortable. But it isn't.

Roak

I've wore mine plate-to-skin a lot, and you don't even know it's there. The wing nutts don't touch you at all.

Mike

I have never felt like my ranger was pushing me forward.

IMHO You don't buy a BC for surface performance, it is a diving (read underwater) device. Think about it how much time do you spend in the water on the surface? In my book you hit the water and decend, on the return you surface and climb back in boat or stand up on the beach.

Originally posted by netboy79
I also hear that a back inflation BC wont tend to rise up and have the shoulder harness turn into a head harness. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Research, research, research! This is a good place to start. The real issue that causes a BC to rise too high is whether it is weight integrated or not. If you have a weight belt to pull you down and your BC is trying to float your butt, then it will be a tug of war and the BC will slip higher and higher. A back plate and wings overcome this with a crotch strap. I like a crotch strap and that is probably the ONLY drawback to my Chute II. You can also minimize this by optimal weighting. An overweighted diver will really feel the "ying and yang" of their equipment.

While a back inflation makes you horizontal at the surface, that is a real plus while under water. Your attitude should be as close to horizontal as possible. As UP pointed out, the trick with a back inflation is to be horizontal on your BACK when on the surface, and the heavier tanks help to achieve this. Even with AL tanks just a little bit of balance will keep you out of the suds.

The back plates are not as evil on your body as they look. You might have some discomfort out of the water, but hey... you should buy for while you are IN the water. I own an OMS IQ, a back plate and 55# wings, an old Sherwood vest style, and the Oceanic Chute II. Each has it's place and they all work fine... with the exception of the old Sherwood... It should become an artificial reef somewhere.

Still, the best way is to try different styles and many LDSes will rent what they sell, and some even have a rent to own deal, and some just don't care. Many will try and "convert" you to their style of BC... they are not the ones who will have to live with your decision. Use your head and you will figure out what is right for YOU.

Yea -- I am kind of funny like that.

For me the weighting and lift seem to balance very well and can remain in any position that I want (surface or underwater). Of all the equipment I bought when I started ~5yrs ago the Ranger is the only piece left that I use and have been happy with since day 1.

The reg I use has served me well but I wish I had spent a bit more as the primary use reg but this one will work well when I get a pony.

Wannabe, that must be neat , always doing boat dives in flat water and always coming up next to the boat. I wanna dive with you. Is the sun always shinning and the water always warm?

in my dreams,,,, don O

Who said anything of the sort-- I burn thru a lot of air trying to find that damn anchor line. I also use a 150' drift line just incase current is a bit more than I expected.

I actually like the whole man aginst the sea thing so 3' chop just means I put the drysuit on a bit sooner (like when I leave the boat launch) 40# anchor and a 21' boat I don't have much problem with the boat staying where I leave it (well except that time I tied off a piling with a rope that was already there....)

Like I said I haven't had balance issues (surface or UW). I have had to do some long surface swims (don't ever do Tolmie State park if you don't want to swim a long long ways) because of.... well stuff happens.

Thanks everyone for all of your replies and personal emails. You all have helped me out quite a bit. Looks like I when i get back to GA from guantanamo i am going to take me a little trip to FLA to try me out a backplate and wing combo deal.

thanks all
netboy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom