I am one confused individual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netboy79

Registered
Reaction score
Ok I just finished my OW cert a little why ago and I am ready to buy my own gear because i am tired of renting. But my main question is....I was ready to buy a jacket vest type BC but now I hear that a back inflation is the way to go, and then there is this whole thing about wings? Am I going to fly away underwater?

Then there is this talk about back plates....huh? My plan was to buy a genesis phatom BC but if there is a better one a more practical one I would much rather get that one. I also hear that a back inflation BC wont tend to rise up and have the shoulder harness turn into a head harness. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

netboy

Lots of folks prefer a back inflation BC (commonly called wings) to a jacket. I have used both and personally prefer my Scubapro sport which is a jacket style. It's a matter of what works best for you. Both are styles are excellent. I would suggest getting a "bladderless" BC of whatever style to a BC with an internal bladder.

I use a jacket style BC. I've never had a problem with swimming horizontally with it. Its simply a matter of placing your weights where you need them if you're using a weight belt. I have not used a weight integrated BC so I can't say how well they work as far as horizontal swimming goes. Several people I dive with have weight integrated and have no problems.

A BC has the purpose of keeping you, through proper use, at a particular depth in the water column. IMHO its the air in the BC that does this, not the style of the BC.

IMHO back inflation and wings are the current buzzwords in BC's therefore they may cost more.

Jacket style is not the current buzz word so they may cost less.

For the diving you've said you intend to do the one you have chosen will serve you well IMHO. If you decide to go to doubles at some point in the future you can always go to the BP/wings and either sell the other BC or keep it for any single tank diving you may want to do.

Just my $0.02 worth

jbd

Netboy 79

Look up www.scubadiving.com

They have lots of comparison tests between different types of BC and all other types of equipment.

It's worth researching the differences and thinking hard about the type of diving you want to do. It may stop you spending a lot of money on something which in 6 or 12 months time you decide is not what you wanted.

Originally posted by netboy79
I also hear that a back inflation BC wont tend to rise up and have the shoulder harness turn into a head harness.
That's actually a function of the backplate harness. Instead of a cummerbund, you have a crotch strap. Other advantages of a backplate and wings setup is that it’s more durable, and if you ever need to replace straps, for the cost of 12 feet of weight belt material you have a whole new harness. Try sewing a torn out strap on a conventional BC sometime! Also if your diving ever progresses to a more technical level, you don’t have to replace your BC – a backplate will move with you through any level of diving (though you will have to buy a different wing to put on the backplate). A SS backplate will put weight above your lungs, so it alone acts as a trim weight that flattens you out in the water without the complexity of trim weight pockets, resulting in better trim, easier movement through the water and ultimately better air consumption a more enjoyable dive.

A backplate has only one negative -- looking at it in the showroom it looks like it’ll be as uncomfortable as all getout with its hard plate and crotch strap. It’s not, even when diving with a T-shirt or skin. But the idea that it’s uncomfortable is what causes most people to reject it outright. Of course a typical salesman won't do anything to sway you from that misconception because if you buy a typical BC you’ll probably be replacing it further down the road (because of it wearing out or replacing it with a backplate) so they get two sales if you buy a BC first.

Many people will tell you that a backplate is for technical diving only. Not true, it’s just the latest piece of equipment that’s making inroads into recreational diving from technical diving. In the past, equipment you now consider “standard recreational gear” has come from technical diving, such as your SPG, your octo and even your BC itself.

A backplate and wing may be more expensive in the short term, but in the long run you’ll end up way ahead in terms of cost. And you’ll disappoint the shop because the money you save they won’t be getting!

Roak

You can order a bp/wings (and whatever else) from Extreme-Exposure.com, use it for a month, and if you do not want it, send it back. Shipping for me from Fla. to NC was 15bux, and I did not send it back. Even if I did, I looked at it as renting it for a month for 30dollars. Not bad, and I know of no other dive shop that will do that for you.

(I do not have any affilitation with the store)

Tommy

Of course, I agree with Roakey. The difference between a jacket and a harness/wing is like night and day. It doesn't matter if you're rec or tech, the benefits of simplicity, efficiency, and reliability remain the same.

Quick tips:

- Get a harness/BP/wing setup. I would recommend a Halcyon wing, Fred T plate, Fred's harness/hardware package, and Fred's STA (single tank adaptor). If you want something ready to go out of the box, get a Halcyon package which includes everything already assembled.

- Get a non bungied wing. They're just a gimmick. The Halcyon wing is the way to go.

- Don't fall for the expensive, flashy, techy, back inflation BC's that are out there. They're just full of a bunch of stuff you won't need.

Some sites and info:

- Here's basically what you're after for a rec setup:

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/OW_rig2_r.jpeg

- Here's Fred T's e-mail addy. Just e-mail him for a current price catalog (PDF format). ftagge@goldinc.com

Good luck,

Mike

Originally posted by netboy79
Am I going to fly away underwater?
Glide would be a better choice of words...

Perhaps you still need to try different BCs... and yes even a backplate wing... so that you can make comparisons...

Kick ~n~ glide is much better that flutterflutterflutterfluter...
IMOOOC...
I notice an appreciable difference in the amount of drag between a jacket BC and a bp/wing...

Break it down into a couple of chunks that are easier to figure out. I guess the first thought might be how you feel floating at the surface. The feel of the jacket wrapping around you, or the floatation on the back, that at least initially, will make you feel like it is pushing you face down. (you can fix that)

Then if it needs a repair, is it something that you'll need to buy a new one or repair/replace parts.

If your diving grows, will it grow with you. Your reasonable expectations. Do you tend to wander off into some more "difficult" situations. Are you gonna just float and look at the pretty fishes. This is about your personality. Is there a chance you might ever want/need to dive doubles. Little chance /big chance.

I guess price shouldn't be a big deal. If you shop hard you can get a good deal on anything.

What about your dive group. Wanna be an oddball or an inovator. Find some guys that do the kind of diving you wanna do. What do they have ? Will you travel ? Plane or truck or bus ? Will you warm water or cold or both ? Maybe multiple wings. Maybe one jacket that does all is to bulky for a plane trip or in the topics. Multiple BC's ,,,,, not my route.

Flexible, quality, comfort ,,,,,,,

Good research

good luck don O

Originally posted by donooo
the floatation on the back, that at least initially, will make you feel like it is pushing you face down.
I have heard it said before but:

Never experienced that with a Halcyon 27#, 45#, 55#, or 70#
Always easy to lay there on the surface on my back without any tendecy to roll over... and no tendency to pitch forward when vertical...

My old Ranger BC however always wanted to push me face first into the water and when swimming on my back it wanted to roll me over face down...

Hey! I just realized why Ranger owners carry snorkles!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom