I am a Shipwreck addict! Best Caribbean wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil Ravlin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have covered the Florida Keys quite well, and love them! Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, Eagle, Thunderbolt are all great.
Who has some other recommendations? I am mainly looking for Caribbean locations (Mexico, Roatan, Belize, others?)

I have covered the Florida Keys quite well, and love them! Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, Eagle, Thunderbolt are all great.
Who has some other recommendations? I am mainly looking for Caribbean locations (Mexico, Roatan, Belize, others?)
Grenada. Lots of screamers as well as purpose sunk wrecks.

for a very photogenic wreck try RMS RHÔNE off salt island in the BVI islands. Used in movie “the deep” nick nolte Jacqueline bisset

Barbados.

Not only do you have the Stravro, but you also have Carlisle Bay and all the wrecks there.

Roatan

4948421B-1E78-440C-915C-4AE5F13AF83A.jpeg
68A79F88-537E-4037-8414-589E0CDEEA57.jpeg

There is a Russian patrol boat boat out of Veradera Cuba that is probably the best wreck I've been on. The rest of the diving was pretty mediocre and water was piss warm, food was less than good, coffee and rum were amazing, history and architecture were amazing, the experience was incredible, but as a vacation...meh.

The only dive op in Cuba is Barracuda Scuba and they don't always have the fuel allotment to go to the patrol boat. Take your own gear and EVERYTHING you could possibly need to repair it. We left them 1000 tank orings and you would have thought we left them gold nuggets. Most orings were leaking and unless the stream of bubbles were at least the size of a quarter....that wasn't a leak.

The boat still has the guns on it and was is great shape. There are large holes for penetration, but short fills are common so you may only have a few minutes at the wreck. I think it's at 90ish feet.

Cuba was an amazing trip. It also sucked...and I would go back tomorrow if asked. I'm not schizophrenic either...well maybe....definitely nucking futs at least, but that's another thread entirely.

The wreck was the best dive of the trip by far. Travel to Cuba was relatively easy.

If your wanting a very very different vacation, Cuba is it.

Here is a trip report from 2019 With a pic of the guns. CUBA-TRIP REPORT- Havana and Veradero August/September 2019

Jay

Hey Fellow Wreck Junkie

Including a few links / pics from my wife's blog for you :)

The Bianca in Grenada was a cool one... We got the wreck Junkie shirt out there !!
Diving the Wrecks of Grenada’s South Coast

Odyssey and El Aguila in Roatan
Diving the Graveyard of the Caribbean in Roatan

Kittiwake in Cayman
Scuba Diving Vacation in Grand Cayman | Freedom Tour Travel

Hilma Hooker in Bonaire
Tale of the Hilma Hooker Shipwreck in Bonaire | Freedom Tour Travel

The huge ones in Florida of course
Diving the 2nd and 3rd Largest Artificial Reefs in the World

I've never done the aircraft carrier (Oriskany) .. but one day hope to.
USS Oriskany (floridapanhandledivetrail.com)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom