I am a little nervous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what should be taught in every open water course?, always do a pre-dive buddy check. Get familiar with your buddies gear, and if you are the divecon on a charter, look around at what everybody is using.

BINGO!!

IMO there is a difference between the 'safety' of a piece of gear and the 'functionality' of a piece of gear. Best I can tell the Air2 is 'functional'... (I have an Airsource... I'm less enamored with it than I was when I originally installed it... but I can't say that it's "unsafe"...)

Given the variety of rig configurations out there, dump valve placement and configurations, tank attachments, weight placements and dumps, wetsuits/drysuits... etc., etc... the desirability of encouraging the good ol' "Buddy Check" is still the best 'first step' in avoiding problems... avoiding little problems becoming big ones... and helping to ensure that 'big problems' stay within the range of manageable.

While there is some obvious advantage to the concept of 'standardized rigs'... there is the obvious problem of 'who's standard'... and 'standardized for what'??? Inherently... even with 'standardized rigs'... it should NEVER stand as a substitute for a good pre-dive buddy check... that's your best and cheapest insurance policy.

There's one thing I want to point out to those who say that an airII means one less gear to service. Servicing one is a bit more complicated than separate 2nd stages and an inflator. It has more parts that need looking at, and when one of these parts start to fail, then you're not just out an inflator or an octo - you're now without both. I was using one before when a leak was noted at depth from the quick disconnect assembly. I disconnected the LPI hose to stop the leak, then I realized that I was now without a back-up regulator.
Just something to think of.
Another reason I decided to switch is that IP gauges with quick-disconnects usually only fit the smaller QDs seen for standard inflators. The combi inflators use a larger diameter valve as opposed to the schrader valved smaller QDs.
I still have my airsource II - its attached to my back-up BCD. Nevertheless, my spare reg has a regular octo attached. But for how long remains to be seen.

I certainly don't claim to know everything, but I do have a bit of experience at least. I always do my best to listen to people who are more experienced than I, and weigh the advantages and disadvantages of something.

I've invited the resident Scubaboard true dive god to weigh in here with his vast experience, so that all with fewer dives than he may learn and thrive :)

Beware, do not utter his name lest he appear and smite thee.

After reading all of the postings on this matter, I was curious if the dislike of the airII is because it is new and different for the older experienced divers. I wonder what the experienced divers said about BC's when they came out, or Octupus or any other changes that have occurred through the years. I think you will see more Air II's in the future because that is what new divers are learning to use safely and in time this might just be the norm. Who knows, just a thought.

I think it is fair to say that many of the people that are arguing against the AirII concept are younger than you think. I am young enough to want the newest of everything and am almost stupid enough to buy everything that catches my eye. HOWEVER, if I believe the concept is flawed (only my opinion) or it is unsafe in anyway, then I steer clear. I believe the AirII concept is flawed per all of my previous posts. So, I think in this case you are not correct....your argument would likely apply correctly in many other scenarios though.

And I do agree with everybody that said no matter what our thoughts are on the AirII, a proper and complete predive briefing will prevent many if not most issues arising from "not knowing" a piece of equipment.

After reading all of the postings on this matter, I was curious if the dislike of the airII is because it is new and different for the older experienced divers. I wonder what the experienced divers said about BC's when they came out, or Octupus or any other changes that have occurred through the years. I think you will see more Air II's in the future because that is what new divers are learning to use safely and in time this might just be the norm. Who knows, just a thought.

I think it is fair to say that many of the people that are arguing against the AirII concept are younger than you think. I am young enough to want the newest of everything and am almost stupid enough to buy everything that catches my eye. HOWEVER, if I believe the concept is flawed (only my opinion) or it is unsafe in anyway, then I steer clear. I believe the AirII concept is flawed per all of my previous posts. So, I think in this case you are not correct....your argument would likely apply correctly in many other scenarios though.

And I do agree with everybody that said no matter what our thoughts are on the AirII, a proper and complete predive briefing will prevent many if not most issues arising from "not knowing" a piece of equipment.

I doubt the Air2 or similar designs will ever be the "norm." I'm a newer diver and I can say that I don't think the distaste for the Air2 is "because it is new." My age (19) doesn't make me more likely to buy a piece of equipment, my level of logical thinking and rational does. The Air2 adds the complication of explaining it to every dive buddy, I seriously doubt they breath as well as a diver's primary second stage (I want my backup to breathe as well or better than my primary), and it can be a pain to service, etc. I won't dive with one, ever.

That said, my instabuddies might end up having one, and if they do I'll take a few minutes to make sure I know how to work it before the dive, just as I'd expect them to understand how my rig is configured (bp/w, getting the long hose setup this week). Everyone should understand their buddy's setup before diving, taking a few minutes to go over things before entering the water is a better solution than requiring training in OW classes for every possible gear configuration that's out there.

The number of absurd comments in this thread regarding age and experience astounds me.

I have had an AirII for 8 years and have over a 1000 dives on mine and it no different than an Octo except it is cleaner and one less hose to fail! Next I have been the supplier of air to an out of air diver and had no problem using it at all..... I know if it is leaking right away and breath off it a couple times in a week of diving just to be used to it and make sure it is working! The concept is sound and it is up and out of the way if your muck diving or doing a search! The only thing dangerous is an untrained or poorly trained diver with just about any kind of equipment! I would not trade mine for all the Octos on the planet! But then I only have over 4200 dives in 36 years of doing it with all kinds of equipment!
360_Me_with_Spear_gun_and_Buddy_Zuma_74.jpg

I stand behind the AirII and would endorse the concept and the gear! It is an non issue unless your ill trained or not comfortable!

Well, like I said dive with what you like...

You say "they all pretty much work the same" So do some kind of work different?
Just for the record, I've been a diver since 1992, and what you just explained there is the first training I've had on them. If I had to rescue someone who was using that device, I now have to remember "big butoon, little button" For your sake I sure hope I
remember that when the time comes.
How long has the Octopus been in use? I'll bet longer than the "Air 2" type device, and everybody knows how that works.

If you are rescuing them why would you be pushing any of their buttons? Do you know how a regulator works? If they are out of air it doesn't matter if they have an Octo or not!!:shakehead:

I have had an AirII for 8 years and have over a 1000 dives on mine and it no different than an Octo except it is cleaner and one less hose to fail! Next I have been the supplier of air to an out of air diver and had no problem using it at all..... I know if it is leaking right away and breath off it a couple times in a week of diving just to be used to it and make sure it is working! The concept is sound and it is up and out of the way if your muck diving or doing a search! The only thing dangerous is an untrained or poorly trained diver with just about any kind of equipment! I would not trade mine for all the Octos on the planet! But then I only have over 4200 dives in 36 years of doing it with all kinds of equipment!
360_Me_with_Spear_gun_and_Buddy_Zuma_74.jpg

I stand behind the AirII and would endorse the concept and the gear! It is an non issue unless your ill trained or not comfortable!

I think it comes down to personal choice and comfort level as you've stated; personally, I want my backup to be the same as my primary, so I won't be using an Air2 or similar device in my diving.

The OP thinks that the Air2 should be covered in certification classes, I disagree with that. Since you've got years of experience using it, what do you think about covering the use of one in a cert or rescue class, should it be required? Or is it best covered between buddies prior to the dive?

- I just read that over and it might seem a bit slighting (1 reason I hate text conversations), don't take it that way, it isn't

.........It is an non issue unless your ill trained.......

Interesting and absolutely absurd statement. Thank you for that.

Back
Top Bottom