I am a little nervous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I still prefer the "octo" that I am going to have to get in my mouth to be attached to my inflator hose, where I have been touching it and handling it on every dive I make with that BC...

#2A Long hose (on your primary) - you can push them away which maybe great, less ass kicking going on from a distance, however are you giving them the advantage of being able to yank you up to the surface at a distance?

This is precisely why I like my Air2, and also precisely why I am looking at a long hose for my primary: I definitely want one of the new MiFlex flexi hoses, haven't decided yet between a five or a seven footer (1.5m or 2.1m).

I have never yet had to supply an OOA diver except during a drill... however, I have had my primary kicked out of my mouth by another diver in a very confusing situation, and I really appreciated the fact that my Air2 was sitting right there and I intuitively grabbed it while I recovered my primary and sorted out my situation.

Who cares if the Air2 is not the A-number-one best breathing reg in the world? Similarly, I also don't care that my car has one of those "donut" spare tires, either. In both cases, all I need is for the device to get me safely where I need to be, I have no intention of using it all the time!

>*< Fritz

I have been diving for 7 years and I recently became a rescue diver. During the training, my buddies needed to inflate and deflate my bcd. Since I have air2, this was a problem. Not many people knew how to use my low pressure inflater. Usually, they just held down the purge. In an emergency, I want them to know how to use it. I know this should be gone over in your pre-dive talk but in an emergency, people forget most of what they know.

I think the use of air 2 should be covered more in your cert and rescue diver classes to help prevent this problem!

I was trained on buddy breathing and the use of an octo. I have since switched from donating an octo to donating my primary and wearing a necklaced octo.

I think you can use whatever you like provided your buddy is comfortable diving with you and your choice of gear. That being said, you have to accept that even if your buddy was trained on an AirII back when (s)he took their OW, if they aren't using one themselves, who knows what will happen in a serious emergency where you are incapacitated?

One of the things I like about going to primary donation is that even people who have no idea how it works use it naturally under pressure. They need a reg, there's one in your mouth, they help themselves! If you do not dive with a perma-buddy, I think the safest thing is to adopt gear that is familiar to the widest variety of divers, regardless of what training they "ought" to have received.

When it comes to suit inflation, I think the safest thing for you is to have a system that "just works" given a diver who forgets their training on your gear or has never seen it before. There's a lot of room for you to optimize your gear given this simple dictum. You can dive a wing instead of a jacket, you can do primary donation instead of donating an octo. Your hose can be 7', 5' or just 40". You can sidemount tanks, whatever you like.

JM2C, I have never been incapacitated on a dive, so I can't say for certain I have a system that is idiot-proof...

"Recreational Diver" can mean many things, primarily meaning anybody who dives for fun and not for commercial work. And I believe in the context as he clearly wrote it, he was testing his alternate air supply tro know ahead of time that it would work at depth.

And by the way, nice "almost 1 month dead" thread revival :D.

Then what are you doing at 113'?

Well, I guess I thought that a young NAUI Advanced Open Water Diver (now reclassified as Master Scuba Diver) would be capable of diving to recreational limits and there is no deco required within the published NDL which, in 1988, was 15 minutes for a dive of 113'.

Today, as a very old diver, I choose to avoid deep diving. I have no plans for going beyond 60' Not that I can't, not that I don't know how. It's just that I choose to do shallow dives. I always preferred 40' or less and I still do.

The recreational limit is 130' and no deco stops are required when diving within the current NDLs.

But the point was this: I tested the regulator function of my AIR 2 on every single dive regardless of how deep. I never found it as nice as my Omega II but it was more than adequate for the purpose at any depth I encountered.

How good does it need to be to make an ascent?

Richard

I purchased a used Seaquest Balance BC with an Air2 a couple of years ago. At first, it was nice not having the extra reg hose, but I tested it and decided to return to an octo setup on my reg. For one thing, the length (for me) was very uncomfortable. I had to really bite down to keep the mouthpiece in, due to the shortness of the LP inflator. Secondly, it didn't breath well at all, especially at depth. Thirdly, it is awkward in an out-of-air situation if for any reason you need to dump air or add air (in-water rescue, etc.). Lastly, in an emergency, the last thing you need is non-standard equipment that someone else doesn't know how to use correctly. I left the Air2 on the BC as a redundant third air source, but will not rely on it as a regulator unless one of my other regulators fails in an emergency when I'm sharing my air with another diver.

Bah hum bug. Come on guys this thread has been so over thought! Assumption that your buddy is going to be the donor/recipient is only one possibility. Others exist. Remember most of the dive community is not DIR. So I am introducing a new possibility and acronym. TFA trained for any thing. The sims are only a few. Double hose old style, OH CRAP, single hose with an other regulator on a hose of some length that they may or may not grab. One of those !@$#@!$@! Air II rigs that can cause all sort of consternation in some peoples minds. I left out small on purpose. Go practice on all of the senarios(sp) you can imagine then you'll be prepared hopefully. The dive community is not going to come standard because there is no such critter. So practice for possibilities because then you'll be the most useful diver when something goes wrong with somebody else's air. I do believe in my heart of hearts that everyone who has posted to this thread would be a great diver to the rescue because each and everyone of you have thought about this in pretty good detail and most of you have trained for those possibilities you imagine. A good new year to you ALL!

My BC has a pull cord dump valve on the right shoulder, a rump dump (which one wouldn't use when ascending

That's only true if you're ascending vertically. If you're ascending horizontally, you just reach back and vent the rear dump. You may have to hike the hip on the side of the dump to get the air out.

There's one thing I want to point out to those who say that an airII means one less gear to service. Servicing one is a bit more complicated than separate 2nd stages and an inflator. It has more parts that need looking at, and when one of these parts start to fail, then you're not just out an inflator or an octo - you're now without both. I was using one before when a leak was noted at depth from the quick disconnect assembly. I disconnected the LPI hose to stop the leak, then I realized that I was now without a back-up regulator.
Just something to think of.
Another reason I decided to switch is that IP gauges with quick-disconnects usually only fit the smaller QDs seen for standard inflators. The combi inflators use a larger diameter valve as opposed to the schrader valved smaller QDs.

Those are really excellent points. Never having wanted an Air II, this alone clinches the deal for me.

Unhooking a leaking LP hose rendering you without a back-up reg would cover the following question.

This got me thinking... can anyone provide a link to an incident where an AIR II failed or causes problems for a diver who was donating air?

Back
Top Bottom