I am a little nervous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are rescuing them why would you be pushing any of their buttons? Do you know how a regulator works? If they are out of air it doesn't matter if they have an Octo or not!!:shakehead:

How do you bring an unconscious diver from the bottom to the surface? ... and who said the potential victim was out of air? I think the discussion was pertaining to the use and training of the Air 2 type device. Not whether or not the diver was out of air. If he or she was conscious and out of air, the diver would be receiving my donated primary regulator, not their own Air 2. So don't shake your head at me.

So as an Air2 user I have a question? If I come across any of you Octo Rig guys who are OOA should I offer to assist or will you be declining because of my poor choice of equipment and obviously deranged mental state? I am thoroughly trained starting with buddy breathing years ago to current standards of donating air. But I wouldn't want to insult any of you good fellows.

So as an Air2 user I have a question? If I come across any of you Octo Rig guys who are OOA should I offer to assist or will you be declining because of my poor choice of equipment and obviously deranged mental state? I am thoroughly trained starting with buddy breathing years ago to current standards of donating air. But I wouldn't want to insult any of you good fellows.

:deadhorse: It's time to let this thread go.

Naw, let's hit the horse one more time....

I haven't read every post, so forgive me if this is redundant.

I don't dive an Air2, but some of my buddies do. As part of our "buddy check" we review gear configurations and alert each other concerning anything that might cause confusion. My buddies with Air2's are good about pointing out that fact and we discuss how we should handle an OOA situation.
It seems to me this is the best way to handle the situation. It is highly unlikely (though possible, I guess) that we might run across a struggling OOA diver who was not part of our pre-dive briefing group. Should that happen, the result will probably be simple as well....the panicked diver will go for my buddy's second stage (if it hasn't been offered already), and my buddy will go to his Air2. In that way, the person familiar with the setup will be using it. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?
Just my worthless $.02.

I agree with DTaine that this thread is dead. As I said in a different thread that was way over due of shutting down:

:deadhorse: Because of us, a cowboy somewhere has to walk.

If you have an AirII, stop posting and dive
If you have an Octo, stop posting and dive.

Is that not the best solution here?

How do you bring an unconscious diver from the bottom to the surface? ... and who said the potential victim was out of air? I think the discussion was pertaining to the use and training of the Air 2 type device. Not whether or not the diver was out of air. If he or she was conscious and out of air, the diver would be receiving my donated primary regulator, not their own Air 2. So don't shake your head at me.

Well I still am! :shakehead: If the person is out, what would any air source have to do with it? So you can't bring someone up from the bottom if you have an airII? I will have to tell the bodies I have recovered that! So if your giving you primary to the out of air diver, don't you know what buttons to push on your own equipment? Seems someone is resistant to change and is trying to make things hard than they are! So dive with a pony system and hand them the bottle! Oh ya if they are unconscious how will they operate it? :shakehead:AirIIs and back up regs are for divers who are out of air! DA! If you find someone out on the bottom I would say get them to the surface! :shakehead:

I have been diving for 7 years and I recently became a rescue diver. During the training, my buddies needed to inflate and deflate my bcd. Since I have air2, this was a problem. Not many people knew how to use my low pressure inflater. Usually, they just held down the purge. In an emergency, I want them to know how to use it.

Then eliminate the ambiguity. Don't use an Air2 and don't expect your buoyancy control interface to be your secondary air source. Let your BCD be your BCD and your breathing source be your breathing source. When you make one piece of equipment serve to completely unrelated purposes, that's what happens. Let each component do one job and do it well. This axiom has been the central tenet of Mercedes Benz's engineering philosophy for generations, which is how they make a car with 4 times the number of parts of a Chevy and 10 times the mean time between failures, defying common wisdom that reliability is inversely proportionate to the number of parts.

It's Murphy's Law - which, in the original form, as Murphy stated it, held that, when such an ambiguity existed, if there was a wrong way, people would choose it.

I agree with DTaine that this thread is dead. As I said in a different thread that was way over due of shutting down:

:deadhorse: Because of us, a cowboy somewhere has to walk.

If you have an AirII, stop posting and dive
If you have an Octo, stop posting and dive.

Is that not the best solution here?
agree completely

Well I still am! :shakehead: If the person is out, what would any air source have to do with it? So you can't bring someone up from the bottom if you have an airII? I will have to tell the bodies I have recovered that! So if your giving you primary to the out of air diver, don't you know what buttons to push on your own equipment? Seems someone is resistant to change and is trying to make things hard than they are! So dive with a pony system and hand them the bottle! Oh ya if they are unconscious how will they operate it? :shakehead:AirIIs and back up regs are for divers who are out of air! DA! If you find someone out on the bottom I would say get them to the surface! :shakehead:

Do you proofread your posts before pushing the "post reply" button? Either for logic or grammar?

I have been diving for 7 years and I recently became a rescue diver. During the training, my buddies needed to inflate and deflate my bcd. Since I have air2, this was a problem. Not many people knew how to use my low pressure inflater. Usually, they just held down the purge. In an emergency, I want them to know how to use it. I know this should be gone over in your pre-dive talk but in an emergency, people forget most of what they know.

I think the use of air 2 should be covered more in your cert and rescue diver classes to help prevent this problem!

In your rescue class since you had an alternate inflator did your instructor adapt the class so that rescues were preformed on victims with each different setup? What I'm asking is do you feel like you can perform a rescue regardless of whether the victim has a "standard" octo or an alternate inflator? What about your classmates, did they learn more because you and your AIR II where in the class?

Back
Top Bottom