Suggestion "I agree" to replace "Thanks"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
pjones

pjones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would like to bring forward the suggestion that we add an "I Agree" button to replace the "Thanks" button. I feel that this would be better suited to help people receive clear and concise information from users while reducing repetitive posts explaining the same ideas or explanations. I found while posting I would utilize the Thanks button for posts that I simply agreed with in order to reduce the number of similar posts that, when boiled down, basically stated "what he said".

I see no need to have an "I Agree" received counter in the users profile as it would serve no purpose. I do see a benefit for a new to the sport user like myself to be able to look at two completely different answers and seeing how many people agree on each answer. If for instance there is one post that has 2 people who agree with the answer provided Versus another post that has 11 people who agree with the stated information than it could help us seek out the most accurate or agreed upon information without spending as much time reading similar posts.

I can also see this making the threads more enjoyable to read as it would reduce the "deja vu" effect while reading through the posts.

I like the Thanks button, useful to show gratitude for a number of reasons (good info, nice trip report, answer to a question I asked&#8230:wink:.

The "I agree" button would be nice as an ADDED feature, not as a replacement.

If not possible, I don't see the problem with using the Thanks button as a means to express agreement without being redundant (although I've read it caused trouble in the past).

Then again, I've used Scubaboard without any of those features before, can live without it…

I'm not going to gripe or whine, but if it's either/or, I'd rather leave it alone. I often use it to say Thanks without posting, whether my gratitude is because I agree or simply because I'm thankful. I thanked a guy today for coming back to explain how his wife died and I would really hate for that to become I agree on his post. :shocked2:
Not a bad idea. I think that is how the majority of people use the button.
I don't think so, but it can serve both as it is now - not if changed.
Well, while using the thanks button to agree with a post is common, it's also used to thank a posters insight or thoughtful post (sometimes even if you don't agree with it)

I'm for leaving it as is so it can be used for both
:thumb:
I use the Thanks button many times when someone has said my exact or even close to my thoughts!
See you topside! John
What about an I Disagree button? Then you could simply register your disagreement without getting into a lot of back and forth.
If one wants to voice disagreement, be prepared to explain why - not just grunt. :mad:
Posts could have a rating system. I've seen this on some websites. Two buttons.. +/- to indicate whether you rate them positively, negatively or not.

That could mean that members have a positive or negative 'score' depending upon how other members percieve their contributions. The downside is that it could be used to dogpile certain members.

The thanks button could remain as a 'social courtesy' tool.
Like the success of our thread rating system? :silly:
I like the Thanks button, useful to show gratitude for a number of reasons (good info, nice trip report, answer to a question I asked…).

The "I agree" button would be nice as an ADDED feature, not as a replacement.

If not possible, I don't see the problem with using the Thanks button as a means to express agreement without being redundant (although I've read it caused trouble in the past).

Then again, I've used Scubaboard without any of those features before, can live without it…

IF the button is changed from "Thanks" to "I Agree" or any other phase, what would this do to older posts? Would a post that had been Thanked for any variety of reasons suddenly show all those folks as agreeing with it? Would this give NetDoc more scars?

IF the button is changed from "Thanks" to "I Agree" or any other phase, what would this do to older posts? Would a post that had been Thanked for any variety of reasons suddenly show all those folks as agreeing with it? Would this give NetDoc more scars?
I am increasing concerned about that as I have Thanked many posts that would not want to appear as Agreed.

I agree with wanting to know why someone disagrees, especially when applied to the occurance of injuries, usage of equipment, or educated guesses.

But I think there are already a lot of people who will post that they "Agree" after using the "thanks" button.

IF the button is changed from "Thanks" to "I Agree" or any other phase, what would this do to older posts? Would a post that had been Thanked for any variety of reasons suddenly show all those folks as agreeing with it?

Yes - exactly.

Yes - exactly.

Just to ensure this sentiment is not altered by any future changes to a button, THANKS Howard - for the speedy and clear explanation of the impact of changing.

Toast will be consumed in your honor. :D

Posts could have a rating system. I've seen this on some websites. Two buttons.. +/- to indicate whether you rate them positively, negatively or not.

That could mean that members have a positive or negative 'score' depending upon how other members percieve their contributions. The downside is that it could be used to dogpile certain members.

The thanks button could remain as a 'social courtesy' tool.
I'd like to thank Julie Zhuo, of Facebook, who wrote an insightful op-ed in today's NY Times on the subject of anonymity on the web, and how it contributes to bad behavior. Although I disagree with most of what she said, I thought it was interesting and somewhat germane to this discussion.

Disqus, a comments platform for bloggers, has experimented with allowing users to rate one another’s comments and feed those ratings into a global reputation system called Clout. Moderators can use a commenter’s Clout score to “help separate top commenters from trolls.”

If we have enough buttons, we can just pick the appropriate canned response and never actually type.

Thanks
No thanks
I Agree
I Disagree
You're just plain wrong
You're gonna DIE
That sucks
You suck
PADI sucks

I am increasing concerned about that as I have Thanked many posts that would not want to appear as Agreed.

I agree!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom