Suggestion "I agree" to replace "Thanks"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
pjones

pjones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would like to bring forward the suggestion that we add an "I Agree" button to replace the "Thanks" button. I feel that this would be better suited to help people receive clear and concise information from users while reducing repetitive posts explaining the same ideas or explanations. I found while posting I would utilize the Thanks button for posts that I simply agreed with in order to reduce the number of similar posts that, when boiled down, basically stated "what he said".

I see no need to have an "I Agree" received counter in the users profile as it would serve no purpose. I do see a benefit for a new to the sport user like myself to be able to look at two completely different answers and seeing how many people agree on each answer. If for instance there is one post that has 2 people who agree with the answer provided Versus another post that has 11 people who agree with the stated information than it could help us seek out the most accurate or agreed upon information without spending as much time reading similar posts.

I can also see this making the threads more enjoyable to read as it would reduce the "deja vu" effect while reading through the posts.

I often want to "thank" two posts that give opposing viewpoints because they have thoughtful discussions of the issue; I might not agree with either post.

What about an I Disagree button? Then you could simply register your disagreement without getting into a lot of back and forth.

Since the THANKs hack has caused so many issues boardwide (abuse, divisive etc.), I fail to see how a different word on the same button will change anything. As has been explained, people already use it for all sorts of reasons and those reasons will not change with a new word on the button.

Can the hack be changed to simply remove the names (if possible) of the people that have clicked "the button" (irrespective of what it says on the button) so that it simply says "12 People have Thanked this post" or "7 people Agree with this post". This, IMO, would solve a coupe of historical issues.

How about a THIS SUCKS button?

While I agree with this post I think it deserves a THANKS instead of an I Agree.

Since the THANKs hack has caused so many issues boardwide (abuse, divisive etc.), I fail to see how a different word on the same button will change anything. As has been explained, people already use it for all sorts of reasons and those reasons will not change with a new word on the button.

Can the hack be changed to simply remove the names (if possible) of the people that have clicked "the button" (irrespective of what it says on the button) so that it simply says "12 People have Thanked this post" or "7 people Agree with this post". This, IMO, would solve a coupe of historical issues.

It wont, but it will make others look smarter than they are when they agree with people who actually had good information when they actually had no clue.

"I agree", I want to be a sage, nodding, yes man, too.

Leave the thanks button.

The thanks button should serve to be a way to find posts that other found useful, as apposed to just agreeable.

A like or agree button would be nice (though not in and of itself any more useful than a disagree button, see below) because it would enhance the usefulness of the thanks button.

A disagree button would be useless because without some reasoning as to why you disagree, no one cares that you disagree ... it would just perpetuate appeals to authority.

Posts could have a rating system. I've seen this on some websites. Two buttons.. +/- to indicate whether you rate them positively, negatively or not.

That could mean that members have a positive or negative 'score' depending upon how other members percieve their contributions. The downside is that it could be used to dogpile certain members.

The thanks button could remain as a 'social courtesy' tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom