hyperbaric chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point. Just in case these tongue-in-cheek comments aren't obvious enough:

SAFETY WARNING

Using uncertified pressure vessels of any kind is incredibly dangerous, for you and anyone within the blast radius. This is true for decompression chambers, Scuba cylinders, and low pressure volume tanks in your workshop. It also exposes you and everyone that worked on it to criminal and civil liability. It is just plain stupid, don't do it!
Kills thousands every year?

A never-used propane tank would probably be a better starting point for a small pirate version. Just let us know where and when you pressurize it so we can clear the blast zone. :)

How deep is OP planning on going with this? I have filled a propane tank to over 100 psi and that's well over 200 feet. I'll bet that Bob DBF has done similar things, judging from his comments :wink:

How deep is OP planning on going with this? I have filled a propane tank to over 100 psi and that's well over 200 feet. I'll bet that Bob DBF has done similar things, judging from his comments :wink:

I don't know about the OP but most double-lock decompression chambers in the commercial diving industry are rated in the 120-150 PSI (270'-337' or 82-103M) range. The determining factor is what the code allows for a standard thickness and grade of steel plate so the calculations rarely come out an even depth rating. Keep in mind that these chambers are used to treat DCS from greater depths than normal recreational dives, sometimes on HeO2. Most chambers use 3/8" or 10mm plate.

SAFETY WARNING

Using uncertified pressure vessels of any kind is incredibly dangerous, for you and anyone within the blast radius. This is true for decompression chambers, Scuba cylinders, and low pressure volume tanks in your workshop. It also exposes you and everyone that worked on it to criminal and civil liability. It is just plain stupid, don't do it!

Well we were talking about boiler plate.

Bob

Last edited:

I cannot confirm or deny anything.

Learned that getting a security clearance, hanging around with boat sailors, and growing up with my brother, not necessarily in that order.

Bob

Kills thousands every year?

I don't know about thousands but...

I was surprised how many construction workers are injured by low pressure volume tank explosions. It is a relatively new thing since pneumatic nailers became as common as a hammers. All of the tanks are stamped by the ASME in the US but people forget to drain water condensate out after each use and they rust through, accelerated by the high PPO2. They all have relief valves to prevent overpressurizing and the required corrosion allowance above the calculated minimum thickness, but is isn't enough for the lazy, forgetful, and uninformed.

I don't know about thousands but...

I was surprised how many construction workers are injured by low pressure volume tank explosions. It is a relatively new thing since pneumatic nailers became as common as a hammers. All of the tanks are stamped by the ASME in the US but people forget to drain water condensate out after each use and they rust through, accelerated by the high PPO2. They all have relief valves to prevent overpressurizing and the required corrosion allowance above the calculated minimum thickness, but is isn't enough for the lazy, forgetful, and uninformed.

It can happen but it is not as dangerous as the nail gun itself. Or driving to work.

True, but how does it compare to climbing into homemade chamber and self-treating DCS? Be advised, stats are limited. :)
Probably won't end worse than in water recompression. Not what you want to do but if that is the only choice.....

Probably won't end worse than in water recompression. Not what you want to do but if that is the only choice.....

Hmmm, tough choice but I'd probably take my chances in the water. At least I wouldn't take anyone else out with me. I've seen autopsy photos of explosive decompression victims.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom