hyperbaric chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somewhat along these lines I'm planning on building a small pressure tank for testing depth gauges and for leaks etc. I have built several successful camera housings and this is way more complicated with the pressure on the inside instead of the outside. You can't just glue an acrylic bottom to a tube and expect it to hold. Hmmm... I got my girlfriend a pressure cooker for Christmas. I wonder if she'd notice if it was missing....

Pressure cookers make excellent underwater camera housing. Built my first one back in 1959 and it is still working after all these years. Used hard hat divers helmet faceplate for the lens port. You can find large pressure cookers on eBay for under $50. Good luck with your project.

Pressure cookers make excellent underwater camera housing. Built my first one back in 1959 and it is still working after all these years. Used hard hat divers helmet faceplate for the lens port. You can find large pressure cookers on eBay for under $50. Good luck with your project.
You may get lucky but pressure cookers are for 15 psi or so.

My bad. I didn't see "camera housing"

Last edited:
Pressure cookers make excellent underwater camera housing. Built my first one back in 1959 and it is still working after all these years

There is a difference in the structure needed when keeping pressure out and keeping pressure in, they are not interchangeable.

Bob

Somewhat along these lines I'm planning on building a small pressure tank for testing depth gauges and for leaks etc. I have built several successful camera housings and this is way more complicated with the pressure on the inside instead of the outside. You can't just glue an acrylic bottom to a tube and expect it to hold. Hmmm... I got my girlfriend a pressure cooker for Christmas. I wonder if she'd notice if it was missing....

Any toughs on using a water filter housing?

keep in mind that liquids are essentially non "explosive" due to being functionally non-compressible. This is why hydro testing is done with water instead of gas. With compressed gas in there, it will work, but if it fails, it's sending shrapnel everywhere and that's less than ideal. Can you do it? sure. Should you do it? I wouldn't...
There are some plans out there for DIY pressure pots using sched 80 pipe that would probably be better and if you don't have to see it, you can get paint/sand blasting pressure pots that work as well

keep in mind that liquids are essentially non "explosive" due to being functionally non-compressible. This is why hydro testing is done with water instead of gas. With compressed gas in there, it will work, but if it fails, it's sending shrapnel everywhere and that's less than ideal. Can you do it? sure. Should you do it? I wouldn't...
There are some plans out there for DIY pressure pots using sched 80 pipe that would probably be better and if you don't have to see it, you can get paint/sand blasting pressure pots that work as well
When I use the water filter housing I fill it as full as I can with water. Big advantage is you can use a clear housing and see the computer you are testing. Less air is less energy and it takes very little air to pressurize a full housing. If someone felt the danger was too great the housing could be pressurized by city water pressure.

When I use the water filter housing I fill it as full as I can with water. Big advantage is you can use a clear housing and see the computer you are testing. Less air is less energy and it takes very little air to pressurize a full housing. If someone felt the danger was too great the housing could be pressurized by city water pressure.

if you're filling with water and doing wet testing then that's a non-issue and is a great and inexpensive way to do some low pressure testing. Those are typically rated to ~120psi or so which is the high end of city water pressure. Most homes only have 60psi or so, but that's still comparable to 100ft

if you're filling with water and doing wet testing then that's a non-issue and is a great and inexpensive way to do some low pressure testing. Those are typically rated to ~120psi or so which is the high end of city water pressure. Most homes only have 60psi or so, but that's still comparable to 100ft
More like 140 feet for 60 psi.

Someone mentioned that (was it you?) and I got a mental picture of a swimming pool pump filter housing which I know will handle at least 50 psi so that will give me a test pressure of 100 feet or so which is pretty much all I'm looking for right now. Now, if I can only remember which box I put my old one in.... I figure I'll just put some pvc pipe with end caps in the big holes and stick the inlet hose somewhere and a bleeder valve.

@tbone1004 I'm going to want to see it for such things as comparing the readings on depth gauges and computers plus I'm re-inventing the capillary depth gauge (OK, I just had surgery and have too much time on my hands :wink: ). I'm confident I can install a window if there isn't a clear cover since the pressure will be pushing against the window, sorta like the back of a camera housing. That's the second time that air in the tank was mentioned but it can't be mentioned too many times! Serious stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom