Hydros...Is this crazy or am I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm a DIY kinda guy, so when I get a hydro, that's all I expect. They don't need the valve, so they don't get it with the tank (nothing to lose). Nobody but me is responsible for O2 cleaning the thing anyway, and I don't trust hydro guys to do it for me. All I really want is the stamp.

So this is my personal process; Take directly to the hydro place myself, sans valve, boot, whatever, but with a cap on it. I've taken the time to get to know Kevin the hydro guy, so we chat a bit, and I remind him to please not forget the + on the stamp. One time he called me and said an AL80 I have failed. I asked him to try again, which he did and it passed. :shocked2:

Next, take tank to LDS and get vis sticker (if they wanna look inside, I'm ok with that, but it isn't required as long as I get a shop sticker on it). No big green Nitrox stickers or anything, just a vis placed where I show them.

Next I take the tank home and vis it myself. Then I O2 clean it and usually rebuild the valve.

Again, I enjoy the hands-on part of my diving, and I like knowing the process has been done to my liking. And if anything is less than perfect there is no one to blame other than myself.

Same with me.

The "standard" around here (northwest Ohio) if you take your tank directly to a hydro facility rather than a dive shop is this: it must be emptied and valve removed, they hydro it and you pick it up a couple days later. Period. Cost is about $20 per cylinder. As previously noted, I wouldn't even want them to install a valve as I need to visually inspect it and O2 clean it before use anyway. Not surprising the guy didn't know an AL 100 from a steel 72. Hydro facilities (at least around here) handle mostly commercial cylinders and scuba is only a small percentage of their business.

Next, take tank to LDS and get vis sticker .........

Next I take the tank home and vis it myself. Then I O2 clean it and usually rebuild the valve.

Interesting.
The shops I have dealt with say that any time the valve is removed the cylinder must get a visual. So, does your dive shop let the cylinder leave with the valve removed?

Interesting.
The shops I have dealt with say that any time the valve is removed the cylinder must get a visual. So, does your dive shop let the cylinder leave with the valve removed?

Are you talking about a dive shop, or a hydro facility? A dive shop may tell you that, a hydro facility in all likely hood won't. Hydro facilities around here don't want to handle the valve, only the cylinder.

I took my tanks in earlier this year for vis. I did get them back after one week and went diving. When I took the tanks back for a refill, I was told that I needed a vis. inspection. Talking with the shop manager for 20 min. he finnally agreed that I did have the visa week earlier, he then put on a new vis lable, and I ended up with a 2,000 fill. I asked him about the 2,000 fill and he said that was the new norm for the shop. I hanen't been back since. I'M LOOKING FOR A NEW SHOP!!!

kinda like getting your flat tire repaired & tire place putting in 20 out 32 lbs of needed pressure......

EDIT:---& to the OP, find another dive shop......& stop by the old one every once in a while & show them all you're pretty new purchases you've made..

Last edited:
Are you talking about a dive shop, or a hydro facility?

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I meant the dive shop. None around here that I know of would let me take a visualed cylinder home with the valve off.

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I meant the dive shop. None around here that I know of would let me take a visualed cylinder home with the valve off.

You're confusing me a bit. First it probably would be best if you had cylinder inspection training so you have that credential when you visit the hydro shop. Probably not a big deal for hydro anyway.

If they are your tanks, drain the air, take the valve off, inspect the thing, take it to hydro, pay the hydro money due, take tank home, inspect and clean it, assemble the ( rebuilt ) valve to the tank using a brand new O-ring. Affix visual inspection sticker, take tank someplace to have it filled. It's always easier if you have your own compressor to check it for leaks. But hay, one can't have everything. :D

You'll have to splain to the air-filler-guy ( or gal ) why it's empty, however, for me it's never been a problem to get them filled back up. In fact, I've only had one shop complain slightly about the PSI sticker and liability, they filled it anyway I'm sure it's because I'm such a nice and good looking guy. :shocked2:

Clear as mud?

We have dive stores that still do partial pressure fills. Most want the tank brought in empty. There is no punishment for bringing in an empty, provided the viz is current. Obviously, this is not true all across Scuba-land.

Interesting.
It's pretty standard around here that the shops want a valve on the tank after the vis, too. However, I have built up a relationship with my LDS where they know I'm just gonna' take the valve off and O2 clean the thing myself anyway, so in my case they'll sticker it any way I want them too. Actually, I have a key to the shop, and when I take my own tanks to the hydro facility, I'll call the owner on his cell and ask if he has any tanks for hydro I can take over there while I'm at it, stop by the shop and transport the tanks both ways for them.

We've become good friends and I help out anytime I can. They in turn know that I am more picky about my tanks then they are, so they just hand me the sticker (not that I don't have a bunch of my own anyway, in case I'm out of town and need one :eyebrow:).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom