Hydro Optix Ultra Wide View Scuba Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Surfing along on scuba related websites turned out this new offering in the world of masks:

Hydro Optix <<<click link to view site

Some pretty radical designs and ideas here. I'd like to hear what the rest of our crowd thinks...

--Mike

Originally posted by TexasMike

Some pretty radical designs and ideas here. I'd like to hear what the rest of our crowd thinks...

--Mike

I think I keep getting an internal server error HTTP 505 everytime I try that link... Are you sure it is posted correctly?

Dive often, but dive safe

John

That's what I get for *not* cutting and pasting from the address tool bar.

It should work now.

They were very good at giving an example of the warped view from a flat mask but I didn't see the same 'proof' from their design.

Sounds like alot of claims and just a few fancy graphics as proof.

Why don't you get one, Mike, and we'll have you give us an honest review? :wink:

I just used the Hyrdro Optix Mega -4.5 for the first time and I would have to give it a "Super~Shaka!" It is still kind of a new product and I expect to see some improvements in the next couple of years but overall, this mask rocks!

A friend of mine has one; his eyesight is almost exactly bad enough to take advantage of
the mask without having to weark contacts to make it worse...

My eyesight runs -1.75 or so, which means that if I were to use one I'd need contacts to
make my vision worse.

That said, I did take a quick dip with his, and it's interesting. High volume, and I did
feel a little "goggle-eyed". I guess it didn't impress me enough to want to "correct"
my vision to use one.

$0.02 -

the lds is tring to sell me a pair but it just does not add up for me. add up the costs and here is why.

mask ------------------------$175.00
dr. visit-----------------------$65.00
contact fitting----------------$65.00
3 mo supply of----------------$70.00
contacts-------------------------
total-------------------------$375.00

the contacts i have work fine with a flat mask. i needed a new mask, called larry at scubatoys and ordered both a cressi big eyes and a tuse visulator for around $100.00
and did not have to mess up my vision to use them. they look like a good idea but just not for me. i guess if your eyes are bad enough to be able to use them without or with little additional correction then the are probably the thing for you.

kman458:
the lds is tring to sell me a pair but it just does not add up for me. add up the costs and here is why.

mask ------------------------$175.00
dr. visit-----------------------$65.00
contact fitting----------------$65.00
3 mo supply of----------------$70.00
contacts-------------------------
total-------------------------$375.00

the contacts i have work fine with a flat mask. i needed a new mask, called larry at scubatoys and ordered both a cressi big eyes and a tuse visulator for around $100.00
and did not have to mess up my vision to use them. they look like a good idea but just not for me. i guess if your eyes are bad enough to be able to use them without or with little additional correction then the are probably the thing for you.
----------
REPLY:
Until you experience an A-to-B comparison IN A SWIMMING POOL between a Double-Dome mask and a flat mask, you just do not know why some people LOVE seeing almost 5X more. Not everybody enjoys taking pictures, or looking at fine art. Some people do not have a strong emotional reaction from what their visual cortex experiences (Left-brain vs. Right-brain). “Visual” people should not simply compare costs… it is not “apples to apples.”

Nobody “needs” an underwater computer. A mechanical depth gauge + simple watch + $5 Navy table printed on vinyl works just fine. The computer gives you a few extra minutes underwater. Likewise, a Double-Dome mask improves the QUALITY of your time underwater. If your career is cleaning boat hulls, inserting contact lenses to wear a Double-Dome mask is silly. However, if you invest your time and money going to exotic dive destinations -- and have 75% of your underwater view blocked -- you are not making the most of your precious TIME.

My brother-in-law bought one due to the dramatic difference in peripheral vison. His vision is not bad enough for the vision to be optimized underwater without contacts to worsen his vision. My vision on the other hand is a little worse than ideal but I was simply amazed when I tried his HydroOptix.

I have been very near-sighted as long as I can remember and as I am approaching 50 I find I need reading glasses for near vision when wearing my contacts which I wear when diving. So far I have tried his mask only in the pool but vision to distance of 30 ft or so was excellent and closeup vision was crystal clear.

I played around with my digital camera/housing and it was much easier to manipulate and focus than with my normal mask. It was literally like being able to see properly for the first time that I can remember without glasses or contacts - albeit only underwater.

There are definite issues as others have mentioned in other threads - fogging, pooling of water, above water vision, and the looks border on ridiculous - especially with the bizarre clip-on above-water "CoverLens". I'm not sure if I would go through the ordeal of wearing contact lenses just to screw up my vision so that the mask would work properly but for those of us with existing vision problems I feel it's a marvel. I would definitely suggest giving it a pool test if at all possible before buying.

TexasMike:
Surfing along on scuba related websites turned out this new offering in the world of masks:

--Mike

Try a "search" using the word hydrooptix here's my :) view!

http://www.scubaboard.com/t59191-.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom