Hydro graffiti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not often disagree with Vance, but I'm going to stick my neck out on this one. While it may be true that requalifiers have a thankless job (how many of us can't say that?) the marking-no, STAMPING of Matt's tanks by such a facility is certainly far worse than a minor error. Even if Matt takes his tanks to the LDS who are fine with calling the hydro facility, what is going to happen when he wants to get a decent fill during his upcoming cave training. Is LDS/tank monkey going to foot the bill for a long distance call? What about after hours?

Getting the money back PLUS (yes, stamped in plain text format) other compensation is called for.

couv

It is not uncommon for a hydro facility not to have the REE number (that's why when I dealt with Faber and Worthington our purchase orders stated that the REE must be on stamped on the cylinder) it is unprofessional to stamp "NO PLUS" on the cylinder. A mathamatical calculation is used to develope the REE number. Hydro facilities are either too lazy or ignorant of how to do it.

I got a call into my old engineer and will post if he responds with the data.

Engineer says it is a 15/20 minute math issue (CGA pamplet 5). He states that a call to the manufacturer to get the REE is the way to go. He says he always responds to those requests.

Wouldn't it be nice to then stamp the REE value on the tank?

The manufacturer is PST. Apparently the guy did try to call PST and found them to be out of business. I'm certain if I had talked with this guy directly I could have resolved this and there would be no errant stamp on the tank. Instead, I dropped it off at the dive shop, and he took it on himself to "clarify" the issue. One way of interpreting it is that he was being punitive for me asking him to do the extra work of getting the REE number. Another, more forgiving way is that he was trying to demonstrate to me (and to the shop) that he did address the issue of the plus rating. Either way it was a big mistake.

BWT, the stamp is written out, "no plus". Not a "+"

I've calculated REEs. It's fussy and time consuming, but more than that, it is complicated enough that I cannot imagine Joe Hydroshop doing it with more than a 5% chance of getting it right. And far less as part of a $14 hydrotest. Actually, I am not sure I got it right either - we like to say things are not rocket science, but this is the one part of diving that comes pretty close to being, and there's no teacher handy to check one's math.

I did once ask the DOT whether, having calculated the REE or gotten it from a manufacturer, one could legally stamp it one the tank to make it a little easier next time. They said NO, only the manufacturer could do that.

Contacting the manufacturer should, of course, always be Plan A for finding a non-stamped REE, but the problem with calling is that usually the REEs one needs most are usually for tanks whose manufacturer is out of business (PST) or has just lost interest in the dive market and won't lift a finger to help (Norris).

Engineer says it is a 15/20 minute math issue (CGA pamplet 5). He states that a call to the manufacturer to get the REE is the way to go. He says he always responds to those requests.

Oh hey anyone out there got an official REE for steel 72s, let me know!

Wouldn't it be nice to then stamp the REE value on the tank?

Speaking of REE and old steel 72s anybody have a copy of the PST (or other mfg) specs??

Speaking of REE and old steel 72s anybody have a copy of the PST (or other mfg) specs??

I wish, that my friend is the 64 thousand dollar question that myself and others have been looking for the answer to. Best guess is it is between 60 and 70 cc.

I wish, that my friend is the 64 thousand dollar question that myself and others have been looking for the answer to. Best guess is it is between 60 and 70 cc.

:confused:

OK;I had no idea that getting the + was so complicated. I always assumed it was just part of the hydro and was related to how well the tank stretched and returned to it's pre-hydro dimensions. Is there a simple explanation to the process for those of use who read Math for Dummies? Additionally, the business of REE numbers- is that related to a certain block of tanks made from the same stock material by a manufacturer?

Tanks,

Couv

Last edited:
The REE number is developed from a statistical sample of tanks of the same design. The REE number will apply to all of these tanks, not just a batch or lot.

My guess is that he added the note because he knew darn well that a diver could/would simply stamp the '+' mark whether it passed that inspection or not. This way his hydro stamp is protected - there is no possibility that the '+' mark can be added.

So, how does an inspector protect against the '+' being added after hydro? I would seem to me that the entire '+' concept is flawed

Richard

Back
Top Bottom