Hydro and +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3A can be + rated won't have a 10 year star though due to their age. We don't + most of them as due to their age and weight most have been relegated to CO2 usage or not having the REE number from CGA 5 and not going through the math.

There seems to be some confusion in the field of hydro's and "+" ratings. My local dive shop is certified to do hydro's, but claims that it takes a special certificate/credential/rating/permission (or something) to do the "+" ratings. I called DOT, and they refuse to put anything in writing without a written request (as in, on paper) which might take 6-8 weeks to get a response to (why are we paying their salaries, if they aren't allowed to give firm guidance?), but verbally told me that if a facility is licensed to do hydro's, they can recertify the "+" rating on tanks. (The tank in question was a Faber steel 2400psi tank.)

Not sure a 3A can be plus rated, never saw any that had.
3A cylinders can certainly be plus rated, they were probably the most common cylinder of the time when the plus rating was put into effect to maximize gas in cylinders being shipped overseas. They won't qualify for a 10 year star rating due to age, but the plus calculation was easy to do.

The plus rating has little to do with the plus (+) rating. One must look at the first hydro stamp and REE. If the first stamp doesn’t have the + then the hydro tester should not be adding it. I’ve seen this before. The tester realized the mistake after I pointed it out. He filled in the + and painted over it.
I often wonder where people come up with this crap? Obviously you didn't read it in CGA documents, is it just passed down over the years?

It doesn't take anything extra as far as authorisation for a hydro facility to affix a +. If the REE is stamped on the tank just look at the number, duh. If not then if you can find the cyl described in the CGA 5 table 1, also a no brainer. If neither it can be done but you need a UT thickness gauge and a calculator. Then it is IMO not worth the effort.

This particular tank has the REE stamped on it. I found a source for future "plus" ratings, if my LDS still refuses.

I often wonder where people come up with this crap? Obviously you didn't read it in CGA documents, is it just passed down over the years?

Be specific as to which CGA document you are referring to.

This particular tank has the REE stamped on it. I found a source for future "plus" ratings, if my LDS still refuses.

What's the source?
Might be useful to me as I have a originally + tank which later gotten a non plus hydro.

Be specific as to which CGA document you are referring to.
There is no specific document, none of them state what you just said.
The plus hydro was done during the war to put more gas in bottles to help with shipping. It was added to bottles that already existed, they didn't make all new bottles just for the war.
So again I ask, where do people come up with this crap?

What's the source?
Might be useful to me as I have a originally + tank which later gotten a non plus hydro.
Boboqa- it's a regional company, maineoxy.com. I found them on the DOT website listed as somebody who does hydro's. They said they do lots of SCUBA tanks, though they seemed unfamiliar with the VIP program. I figured if they could do the hydro, then my LDS could do the VIP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom