Hydro and VIP expiration dates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recneps

Registered
Reaction score
I have a tank with a hydro date of 02-09, essentially 4.5 years old. The VIP date is 07-12, so it is due for a VIP now. If I get the VIP done now will I be able to get a fill say next April or May which will be after the 5 year hydro limit? If I get a VIP now am I only essentially buying a 6 month VIP?

You need the hydro by the end of February 2014 to continue getting fills. A VIP done within hydro does not extend it. Hydro and VIP must be in force for fills.

Pete

What spectrum said. Although you are not actually buying any months of visual. all that vis means is that the tank was inspected on the date indicated on the sticker. It has no validity period. its a wide spread practice to fill the tanks with a vis done within past year but thats really a business practice. In your case the hydro will dictate but the shop might still choose to still fill it.
if I were you I would just do hydro no as the hydro also includes visual.

I've got a tank with the same issue. I plan to have the hydro done (my LDS sends out) and then the vis when it comes back to my LDS. They will coincide from then on. Since I have steel tanks I don't trust the vis by the hydro facility as I believe it's done before hydro and if the tank is not properly dried it could get some flash or worse rust before the next vis. Don't think it would be a problem with aluminum.

When I perform a VIP on a tank with that situation, I backdate the VIP so it will expire at the same time as the hydro. So in your case, the sticker would be punched 02-13 when you collect it from me.

Thanks folks, thats what I suspected..... I'm loading it in the car and off to get a hydro done. Appreciate the feedback.

I would just get the VIP done which should be quick and not cost that much. Instead of losing use of the tank in the middle of the summer - unless that doesn't matter to you or they will do the hydro right away. If you lose a few months of "use" of the VIP, so what? If you take it now you're losing a few months of "use" of the hydro instead, and also possibly trying to get it done at a busier time.

When I perform a VIP on a tank with that situation, I backdate the VIP so it will expire at the same time as the hydro. So in your case, the sticker would be punched 02-13 when you collect it from me.

so how do you maintain the consistency of your logs if you backdate it? And why would you want to expose yourself to potential issues that backdating creates?

I can't believe no one has complained about that. I imagine people just don't notice or care. Wait until you get someone who does notice and care...

According to the SDI/TDI Visual Inspection Procedures manual, page 33, point 17:

"NEVER DATE AN EOI STICKER TO EXPIRE AFTER A DUE HYDRO DATE."

They actually capitalized every letter.

EOI - Evidence of Inspection

Back
Top Bottom